Light fitting to be moved

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to replace an existing upstairs pendant light fitting and also move the location of the light by approx 2 metres.

The existing fitting has a standard ceiling rose with the "loop in" connections, and as I am relocating the fitting, this will need to be replaced with a junction box in the loft.

The new fitting fits flush to the ceiling with just the LNE cable which I assume I will "chocolate box" connect to the extended cable.

Some Questions:

1. As the JB will not be accessible, I presume I will need to use a maintenance free type of JB, is this correct and is a "WAGOBOX" an appropriate type?

2. Would this work come under Part P and be notifiable? I was thinking it wouldn't as I am only replacing an existing JB (Ceiling Rose) with another (albeit slight different type) and not changing the number of circuits. But I stand to be corrected on this :)

PS - the light fitting is for the upstairs landing so not in a special area such as bathroom/kitchen etc.

Thanks, Mark

Sponsored Links
So at the existing rose you have 3 cables.

LNE in
LNE out
Switch wire.

With luck one of the LNE cables will be a pull back, the other two will need to go via an accessible jb in the loft or a mtce free unit.

At the new fitting you will have to replicate what was at the old.

Use Ashley 501 boxes

ASJ501X.JPG

Or the mtce free version

ASJ804.JPG

If using mf then use a 4 w junction not the 3w

You are right that the work can be done without notifying.

1. As the JB will not be accessible, I presume I will need to use a maintenance free type of JB, is this correct and is a "WAGOBOX" an appropriate type?
MF type
2. Would this work come under Part P and be notifiable? I was thinking it wouldn't as I am only replacing an existing JB (Ceiling Rose) with another (albeit slight different type) and not changing the number of circuits. But I stand to be corrected on this :)
Not notifiable work, but still needs to be part p compliant.

PS - the light fitting is for the upstairs landing so not in a special area such as bathroom/kitchen etc.
Not a special location, just altering an existing circuit.

Thanks both for the quick responses, that helps a lot.

Anyone got any comparisons on using the Wagobox maint free JB/connection system versus the Ashley one that Chri5 suggests?

Also Chri5, not sure what you mean by saying "at the new fitting I will have to replicate what as at the old" - It wont be the same as the old, as currently it is a ceiling rose and now it will be connected by a chocolate block type connector supplied with the new light fitting, is this an issue?

Cheers, Mark

Hi,

I want to replace an existing upstairs pendant light fitting and also move the location of the light by approx 2 metres.

The existing fitting has a standard ceiling rose with the "loop in" connections, and as I am relocating the fitting, this will need to be replaced with a junction box in the loft.

The new fitting fits flush to the ceiling with just the LNE cable which I assume I will "chocolate box" connect to the extended cable.

Some Questions:

Thanks, Mark

Sponsored Links

I love the Wago connectors but in your particular circumstance I would be using an Appleby 4way 20amp MF box as Chri5 shows in his second picture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back