Light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have bought a new light fitting and when I have taken the old one down their was an earth wire connected (old fitting is metal). The new fitting is primarily wood and only has a block for 2 wires to be connected. The new fitting also has the double insulated sign on it, a small square within a big square, and I assume that means I don't need to earth it. If this is the case, what is it best to do with the earth wires that are left.

Have been reading back through the forum and seen about the earth in past posts and would just like confirmation that what I am doing is correct, and what is best to do with earth wire.

Also, the wiring from the ceiling isn't quite long enough (old fitting was flush to ceiling) and I could do with extending it a couple of inches. Which is the best way to go about this, and is the cable a standard type of mains cable ?
The wiring is 2 grey sleeves, 1 red with an earth, and 1 black with an earth, plus an earth on its own ( I think this is correct, but have put old fitting back for now).

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
you missed the posts that said sleave the earth and put the end in choc bloc.

but seeing as you want to extend it , why not buy a 5A jb and do it that way (you can leave the earth in the jb)

Thanks for your reply Breezer.
2 things now though, how big roughly is a junction box as their isn't a lot of room to play with, and do they come with cable already attached as the new light fitting just has a small block to put the connecting wires into, and not any actual cable you can connect. :confused:

Cheers

small, and no

you can put the junction box in the roof space and add cable to it for your new light

Sponsored Links
Cheers Breezer.
As above, the light fittings are double insulated and need no earth. I assume this still applies even though the actual light switches are metal ??

Have got junction boxes etc. thanks.

all earths must be connected, and to switch box, but obviously not to new light as they are dble ins

I don't wish to sound rude, but what do the installation instructions tell you to do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back