Light Fitting!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm sure this is a simple question for everyone to answer but here goes....

I bought a new light fitting (from next) and I'm a bit confused over how to fit it. The Next light comes with 2 earths and I don't know what to do with it all. I presume I unscrew where the existing light comes out (blue and brown) and then put the new wires in and tighten up, then put the earth in and tighten them up?

I'll attach photos so it's clearer

Cheers

Mike

Sponsored Links
maybe you can fit that light over the existing rose..
it's off the ceiling now right?

screw it back into place, but put the bar from the light behind it and screw through..

yeah it's off the ceiling, and I was expecting to screw the new fitting over the old one, but I still need some advice with fiting the new one with that old rose in place!

exactly as you said..
new blue where old blue is, new brown where old brown is and new earths in with the rest of the earths..

you may have to strip back the black sheath on the cable in the new fitting a bit to give you a bit more slack in those wires..

Sponsored Links
So I put both the earths in the same one? That's the bit that threw me, I don't understand why they are 2 earths, if so one could explain so I learn something then I would be grateful.

Also, do I need to turn off all the electrcity or just the circuit the lights are on?

right thanks for the advice, I'll attempt this later on today! I've got a spur to do in the loft as well which I'm not looking forward to haha

That what Electricians train for.

The part 'P' is to stop people doing just that and killing themselves and/or others.

It always amazes me that people 'Won't touch the plumbing as I might flood the house' but will happily play with the electrics which could burn it down or kill people.

I am always up for helping people if they have most of the knowledge to do the job already, but please if you get stuck get a sparks in (And yes it'll cost more to solve it if it is all messed up).

The guy asked a question, got an answer and now your lecturing him ?

I'm all for asking people to be safe, but any home owner is allowed to do such work (changing a light fitting) and spouting Part P is a bit OTT.

I'm sure the OP will isolate the supply at the consumer unit, test for dead with meter or volt stick (having checked the tester works) and understand the work required.

The rose needs to come off the wiring. The wiring then needs to be put into a terminal strip with the 4 x sections of wiring mapping the ceiling rose positions (L, SL, N, E).

Then on the other side of the terminal block go the lamp fittings- 2 x E, 1 SL, 1 x N.

Reason the rose is redundant is that the bracket for the fitting needs to be fixed to the ceiling direct.

Do watch your wiring spacing. The area that the final wiring and terminal blocks have to sit in is quite shallow.
The fitting screws that hold the lamp to the base bracket require the units to match together with no cable or terminal blocks preventing the closure.

it's possible to put the bracket behind the rose and line the screw holes up and screw through the rose AND bracket into the ceiling.. the cables in the rose come in off center..
whether there is enough clearance under the base of the fitting though is another matter..

no I'm a ****ing lumberjack!!!! :evil:

what kind of question is that.?

C&G 236 part 1
C&G 236 part 2
C&G 2391
C&G 2382
BTEC ONC Electronic and Electrical Engineering...

C&G 236 part 1
C&G 236 part 2
C&G 2391
C&G 2382
BTEC ONC Electronic and Electrical Engineering...

You forgot about your 11+ you ninny!

rofl5.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back