Connecting new light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I bought a new light fitting from amazon that includes a new ceiling rose. It says it’s easy to fit yourself but doesn’t have any instructions. I’ve unscrewed the current rose and I can see that the fitting has two wires that go into it, a brown cable and a blue cable.

The new fitting seems to take three with an extra yellow and green cable (the earth?)

Now from what I can see, there are two main cables coming from the ceiling and these then connect to a plastic plate via separate wires that split off them both blue and brown but also the earth cable, both these earth cables go into the plate itself and are screwed into place but not into the light fitting cable directly.

The new ceiling rose has a little white box with three inputs for the live, neutral and earth.

Can I just attach one of these earth cables to the earth fitting on the new light fixture? Does it matter which one?

Here is an image of the current wires that I want to connect the new fitting too
https://imgur.com/lkQQRO9
lkQQRO9

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Both earth conductors connect to the earth terminal on the new fitting. The neutrals connect to its neutral terminal.The switched live connects to its live terminal ,and the two brown live conductors go together into a separate 4 th terminal block which does not connect to the light fitting.
The switched live is the blue conductor with a small piece of brown sleeving on it. Don't confuse it with the other blue ones which are neutrals.

Both earth conductors connect to the earth terminal on the new fitting. The neutrals connect to its neutral terminal.The switched live connects to its live terminal ,and the two brown live conductors go together into a separate 4 th terminal block which does not connect to the light fitting.
The switched live is the blue conductor with a small piece of brown sleeving on it. Don't confuse it with the other blue ones which are neutrals.

So i was thinking that i keep this plastic plate in place and just attach the wires that go into the actual light part of it, but I’m now wondering if I’m wrong about this? Do i get rid of this and just wire it directly into the new fitting? I’ve only got the three inputs on the new one but I guess I just try to get both wires of each colour to connect to the same part?

No idea what your new light fitting looks like ,maybe post a pic. However ,how do you intend to fix it to the ceiling ,if the plastic rose is left in position ?

Sponsored Links
No idea what your new light fitting looks like ,maybe post a pic. However ,how do you intend to fix it to the ceiling ,if the plastic rose is left in position ?

Got it, makes sense. I just thought that this plastic part was part of the normal wiring and since only two cables went into the actual light part itself that is all that I would need to do. I can see what I need to do is remove this plastic part.

The new fitting is however very different, there is a bracket to connect it to the ceiling and then the wiring is simply a small white plastic box, that accepts the three colour cables. This is where I am a little more confused, as I have the two main cables coming from the ceiling that each split off to these three colours, giving me six in total, do I wire all six of these into this? Each colour twice? Picture attached.

https://imgur.com/a/LFTT6Gj

No, you will need to buy a fourth terminal block ,or wago connector ,into which the two brown conductors fit. It will not connect to your new fitting ,but will sit inside the fittings base ,just like the connector block that comes with the fitting does.

No, you will need to buy a fourth terminal block ,or wago connector ,into which the two brown conductors fit. It will not connect to your new fitting ,but will sit inside the fittings base ,just like the connector block that comes with the fitting does.

Ahhhh thanks, starting to make sense now, seems pretty simple.

So..

Both earth cables > into the single earth on the new fitting.
The blue cable > blue connector on the new fitting
Blue cable with the brown sleeve > into the brown connector on the new fitting.
Both brown cables > wago connector.

Last edited:
Ahhhh thanks, starting to make sense now,
Is it?

seems pretty simple.
Well, it is.

Both neutral cables > into the single neutral on the new fitting.
The blue cable > blue connector on the new fitting
Blue cable with the brown sleeve > into the brown connector on the new fitting.
Both brown cables > wago connector.
You seem to have an extra line in your description.

This is what you have at the rose.
You must just copy it exactly using the different connectors.

upload_2020-1-19_19-6-48.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back