light fittings - earth required or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a ceiling lamp, made from cut sheet metal, an moroccan design without any wiring or light fitting. Is a cable with earth required or would a 2 core cable be sufficient? Are there any rules which govern whether lamps require an earth, and come to that why do some appliances need an earth and some not?

moved as posted in appliances

Sponsored Links
If it has no lamp holder or wiring, just what is it that makes it a light fitting?

It won't be CE marked, will it? If common sense doesn't tell you that DIY electrical appliances made out of cut sheet metal are a bad idea, check the small print of your house insurance.

By the way, I earth everything! Especially where metal is concerned!
I am "The Earther"

That can be dangerous if what you are earthing is not meant to be earthed.

Earthing items which are not exposed-conductive-parts and bonding items which are not extraneous-conductive-parts makes things worse, not better.

Sponsored Links
slippyr4 said:
Bazdaa said:

That implies that you earth plastic.

Hell why not!

Seriously, I dont have any plastic back-boxes. However if I did, I would still continue and connect the earth wire. Why not and dont tell me because its not needed.

Is this a problem?

Bazdaa

Bazdaa said:
slippyr4 said:
Bazdaa said:

That implies that you earth plastic.

Hell why not!

Seriously, I dont have any plastic back-boxes. However if I did, I would still continue and connect the earth wire. Why not and dont tell me because its not needed.

Is this a problem?

Bazdaa

You should indeed terminate the CPC in a plastic back box. That's not "earthing" a back box though. What would you do with a plastic pipe?

No - maintaining cpc continuity by using the earth terminal in plastic boxes is the right thing to do (and does not earth the box).

But earthing items which are not exposed-conductive-parts and bonding items which are not extraneous-conductive-parts is not the right thing to do

ban-all-sheds said:
No - maintaining cpc continuity by using the earth terminal in plastic boxes is the right thing to do (and does not earth the box).

But earthing items which are not exposed-conductive-parts and bonding items which are not extraneous-conductive-parts is not the right thing to do

Like what, the only thing that I earth are terminals as in light fittings and sockets, and dont forget bonding.

Yes I know what I said, but this has gone a bit further now.

Bazdaa

don't worry about it, i think Bazdaa argues for the sake of it[/quote]

If you bothered to read the thread, you would see that it has evolved. See there you go again, with your comments.

Why not keep this where it should be.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38072&highlight=

Bazdaa[/quote]

Thanks Bazdaa, i knew you would argue some point :LOL:[/quote]

And you would come back with some comment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back