Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
P1030507.JPG
P1030508.JPG
P1030507.JPG
P1030508.JPG
Hi All,

I am looking for a light to place into the Japanese Lanton . I think it needs to be about 20 watt and connected to the mains via a spare switch in the switch box as seen in the photo. have tried solar lights but they are not bright enough. Conduit is built into the base.

If anyone could point me in the right direction to a link I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Really like your garden set up. They Koi?

Ive bought gardens lights from tlc direct before you might be able to find some suitable ones from there.

View attachment 165848 View attachment 165849 View attachment 165848 View attachment 165849 Hi All,

I am looking for a light to place into the Japanese Lanton . I think it needs to be about 20 watt and connected to the mains via a spare switch in the switch box as seen in the photo. have tried solar lights but they are not bright enough. Conduit is built into the base.

If anyone could point me in the right direction to a link I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.
If you mean 20W of incandescent lighting you are really talking of about 250 lumens.
You can achieve this with about a 2W or 3W 12 V LED.
Of course, you would not connect such an item to the 230 V "mains" but you would use a transformer (and possibly, a rectifier if you did not choose a suitable 12V AC LED lamp to install or use a 12V DC supply/driver).

My suggestion would be to use several small 12 volt automobile lamps ( filament ) placed between the windows or in the "roof" to make the inside glow without a lamp actually being visible. I would also use a variable voltage supply ( or dimmer ) to be able to have a warm glow at night and brighter light at dusk.

Sponsored Links
My thanks to Anthony 118 (yes they are mostly Koi) FrodoOne & BernardGreen. Still a little confused, probably my age, WAS hoping to get free TV licence in September:(. Looked on TIC Direct cant see anything that would fit. Any other links would be most welcome.

Does the "roof" lift off and if so a photo of the inside of the lantern may help with finding an off the shelf fitting.

How much vertical depth is there from the ledge to the top of the conduit ? and internal diameter of the conduit ?

Regards

Bernard

upload_2019-6-12_11-58-39.png

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for your interest.

Picture is a little deceiving as there is just a few mm vertical depth between the 2. The conduit is 15mm.

Brian.

Let me have a couple of days to look up some old notes. I seem to recall something similar a few years ago.

A bottle lamp kit would be the easiest way to get a mains lamp fitted into the ornament
zoom_kits-table-lamp-bung-small-01.jpg

https://www.lampsandlights.co.uk/table_lamp_kits.php

Use the un-switched version and ensure the Earth connection is connected, supplying it via an RCD would be very sensible. The conduit being the neck of the bottle. Drainage of rain water from the ornament would be necessary to ensure water in the ornament could not get deep enough to affect the lamp holder.

If drainage via the conduit is necessary then a lamp holder and threaded rod. Similar to this
upload_2019-6-19_7-32-38.png
https://www.lampsandlights.co.uk/moredetails.php?ref=LHbrass08-BC

without the foot and the tube ( possibly cut shorter ) as a loose fit into the conduit.

An "exotic magic" glow with no visible lamp can be acchieved using a fibre optic bundle to bring light from an external lamp into the ornament via the conduit with the ends of the fibres distributed around the inside of the lantern. A lot of work glueing the individual fibres in place but probably worth it.

is a more complicated way but can create

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back