light fuse tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our problem 1st started the other day, the light bulb in the fridge freezer blew, coincidence ? it lasted about 9 years. (not replaced yet)
Things were fine till a couple of days after, the landing light was turned on and the lights fuse tripped, i'm no electrician but I checked all the wires were connected correctly in the switches, then the fuse stayed on and the lights worked.
I was pretty happy with myself, untill later in the evening, a bedroom light was turned on and the lights fuse tripped again.
So it was 2 separate lights upstairs that seemed to cause the problem.
Please help, it's dark in here :eek:

Sponsored Links
planemad";p="1848954 said:
Are the bulbs blowing, or does the circuit just trip with a working light bulb?[/quote

The circuit just trips, the only bulb to blow was the fridge , a few days before.

What did you actually do when you checked the switches?

Any bare wiring touching earth or metal back box?

Any transformers fitted to either of these lights?

Do you have circuit breakers? Any RCDs?

Any fittings been replaced?

Anyone been in the loft (if you have one) recently?

Sponsored Links
What did you actually do when you checked the switches?

Any bare wiring touching earth or metal back box?

Any transformers fitted to either of these lights?

Do you have circuit breakers? Any RCDs?

Any fittings been replaced?

Anyone been in the loft (if you have one) recently?

I'll go back round and check if any bare wires are touching anything, not sure about transformers or RCD'S, 2 light fittings and dimmer switches were changed 2 years ago, come to think of it, 1 bulb in a rack of 4 blew in the lounge a while ago and now the dimmer doesn't work, but the light stays on full.

The chrimbo decs were put back in the loft !

You may have some loose fitting sheets of board up there to stand on. Many people do. Check under here as well.

The dimmer switch shouldn't be the cause of this, it still turns the light on, and it's not even the same room.

Exactly what trips ?

It is the MCB for the lights taht is tripping leaving sockets working ? Or is the RCD tripping. This would mean lights and some sockets will not work until it is reet ? The RCD will have a button marked TEST on it.

Exactly what trips ?

It is the MCB for the lights taht is tripping leaving sockets working ? Or is the RCD tripping. This would mean lights and some sockets will not work until it is reet ? The RCD will have a button marked TEST on it.

the main fuse box in the kitchen with lights, sockets, water and heating, cooker hood.

just the lights fuse trips, everything else is fine

So not the RCD !

As it is two lights upstairs I agree with others that the most likely fault is in the wiring in the loft having been disturbed enough to create a fault when you were up there. The lamp in the freezer almsot certainly hasd nothing to do with this fault.

Any screws or nails been put into walls or disturbed ?

So not the RCD !

As it is two lights upstairs I agree with others that the most likely fault is in the wiring in the loft having been disturbed enough to create a fault when you were up there. The lamp in the freezer almsot certainly hasd nothing to do with this fault.

Any screws or nails been put into walls or disturbed ?

Thanks for the reply, no screws or nails put into walls, I'll check the loft

:D Thanks very much for your help guys, much appreciated.

I checked the loft, all the light fittings were far away from the loft hole and none were disturbed, so I then checked all the wires in the light fittings and found scorch marks in the the bedroom light that tripped.The live and neutral wires were twisted together and were bare in parts. I guess that was done when the house was built 40 years ago.

Thanks again and have a great new year. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back