Light is tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I fitted a new light fixing last week which worked perfectly.

The fixing is a Lisa 3-Light Ceiling Light Chrome Effect Plate 560 x 250 x 250mm from screwfix.

Because one of the arms was loose, I took it off and twisted the arm to screw up the thread. Once screw tight I refitted the light and turned on the electric to find the light switch is broken and the light will not turn on.

The trip switch also went off.

Do you think I could have broken the light fixing or not put the wires into the block correctly.

If the light fixing, how can i test it?

Sponsored Links
Either is possible, how have you wired it? Can you post a photo?

Ideally to test the fitting you need an insulation tester but if there is a direct short it may show with a multimeter set to ohms. With no lamps in and it disconnected test L-N, L-E then N-E. If any show low ohms then there's a short, this test isn't conclusive until carried out with a 500v insulation resistance tester which I doubt you'll have but all electricians should have.

Hi thanks for the reply.

I have found the problem

I cannot put a connector on this as this part goes into a small metal housing.

Stupid question: Can I wrap insulation tape around both wires or is that potentially dangerous?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back