Light stays on even though switch now removed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A light which has been working fine for years has decided to stay on a few days ago. Today the light circuit board tripped and through trying all the MBC’s it’s the same circuit which is causing it to trip. I assumed it was the switch broken/staying on so swapped it with another but the whole board still kept tripping whenever the circuit was switched back on. At one point I thought it was something to do with when the face plate screw was screwed in to the metal back box as it didn’t actually trip when the switch wasn’t screwed in, but did when screwed in but when I unscrewed it it still tripped so confused at the inconsistency. So I have removed the switch for the moment so we can have the rest of the lights on and taped up the wires, but to my surprise the light is now on!! I know Hallowe’en’s approaching n all!!!

Can anyone she and light (pun intended :) )?

Sponsored Links
What exactly tripped at the " board".
RCD ,or MCB ?
Is the light that stays on ,a ceiling light?
What have you taped at the switch position ,have you taped conductors together or put tape on separated conductors ?

Sponsored Links
What exactly tripped at the " board".
RCD ,or MCB ?
Is the light that stays on ,a ceiling light?
What have you taped at the switch position ,have you taped conductors together or put tape on separated conductors ?

The main switch tripped so unless I switched the light circuit one off it would keep tripping every time I switched it on. In fact, I had to switch ground floor, 1st floor and top floor off (problem is on 1st floor) or it would keep tripping, but once main switch back on I can switch ground and top on and would be fine.

Yes it's a ceiling light.

No I've taped the ends so no one can get shocked, wires are not joined together.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back