Timer Switch - Lights Staying on all the time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. A while ago we had an electrician install a Kingshield T40S-C electronic timer switch in our garage which powers 2 identical 60w bulkhead lights. For months it has worked perfectly with the lights coming on around bedtime and turning off around dawn. A couple of days ago one of the bulbs in the lights blew which resulted in the fuse for the garage tripping on the main fuse box. When I reset the fuse, one light was still working but now stays on permanently, irrespective of what the timer switch is saying. After leaving the light on a couple of hours, it trips the main fuse again and keeps doing so every few hours.

I've tried a new 2amp fuse in the timer switch, tried the full reset button, tried resetting the times but the light just stays on all the time. I've even tried the manual override on/off switch and again, the light just stays on.

I'm wondering if the timer switch is broken but open to ideas and suggestions please.

PS. Original electrician has moved out of area so cannot simply call him!

Sponsored Links
Make sure you press reset button, then reset the correct time and day, then reprogramme the on/off times you require.
But the fact the unit is tripping is a concern, what device trips?

Thank you. I have done that 3 or 4 times now but it hasn't made any difference I'm afraid

Sponsored Links
If there is no second lamp in place I would firstly replace that, and then see how it operates,
If that then stays on permanently, then i would check the cables at the timer terminals and switch.If all looks good, it would suggest your timer has a fault, it may well be if this was installed in the last 12 months, the manufacturer or supplier will replace. The installer should have left any warranty information with you.
What is the reasoning behind having lights come on between these periods?
Seems wasteful to me.

Thanks. Both bulbs in the 2 lights have now been replaced and the lights are still on permanently. I will double check the wiring is ok into the timer switch - it certainly looked ok when I checked at the weekend.

We have lights on overnight due to the spate of burglaries on our estate in recent months. This includes 2 attempted burglaries on our house. The police advised that static lights are a more effective deterrent than a PIR light that no-one in the home ever reacts to.

Clearly the contacts have become welded together on the timer, or possibly the electronics in the timer are shot. Either way repair or replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back