Timed Switches - Lights Staying On

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where I live we have 4 push, timed switches for the hallway.

One of them is totally separate for one of the flats. The other 3 are all linked together, and turn on 3 lights.

The problem is, the lights have started staying on! Except for the one on its own. I've disconnected all the switches, and terminated them in terminal block, as this then rules out a faulty switch staying closed. But again, the lights stay on! Which I really don't understand why?? The lights go off if I pull the fuse, but surely with all the light switches disconnected, there shouldn't be any connection to keep the lights on?

Any ideas please guys, as obviously it's using a lot of electricity.

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
We own the flats. But to be honest I work in heavy industry not domestic, so might get someone in.

Where do you think the problem could be? In one of the roses somewhere?

Is there, perhaps, an override switch - i.e. a normal switch - somewhere, so that the lights stay on for cleaning and maintenance of the area? It might be in a cupboard somewhere (cleaner's cupboard?)

Good thinking!

Just checked though in the cupboard, but there isn't anything there unfortunately.

Seems weird how this has just happened, as no one will have touched anything, other than pressing the switches.

Cheers for the suggestion though :)

if you are worried about the cost of electricity, fit CFLs. A 12W CFL on each landing will probably do. Four of these consume less than 50W so will run for about 21 hours for about 13p the lot.

BTW it is very common for tenants to fiddle with timed stair lights to make them stay on.

I would not be surprised if there is a Cleaner's or Landlord's switch somewhere to override them, perhaps in a cupboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back