MCB tripping

Sponsored Links
Just to give you an idea of time-lag--

I went to a customer's house the other week. Problem, lighting mcb tripping indiscriminately at varying intervals between instantaneous and 4.5 hours.

IR'd the cable - L/E down. Went round whole circuit belling out the legs. Found a leg in loft chewed by squirrel 7 years earlier. A cable leg that is, all you wags!!

Only just causing nuisance tripping, 7 years later!!

Did the squirrel leave a cert for his work? , is that how you could put a date to it? :LOL:

And I hope you reported him to NICEIC if he was so resistered, thats plainly shoddy work...

i think i have identified the problem, albeit a very embarrasing one to divulge. When my builder carried out the work, he ran a cable through to the outside of the extension for a future,'Outside light'. However the cable was just left hanging outside without being terminated or protected. This means it was exposed to all sorts of weather conditions, hence the tripping in wet conditions. The end of the cable was actually singed! What implications can this have on my circuit now?

Also like to say thanks, as I am learning an awful lot from you all..

Sponsored Links
It won't have damaged the circuit, if the MCB tripped each time you had an overload. 1.5mm cable will carry more than a 6A MCB will let through.

However, you can now occupy yourself looking for other examples of shoddy workmanship and unsafe practices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back