Light issue

STI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can you help please. I converted my garage into front section utility room rear section workshop. I have a sub board in there with a 32 amp breaker for plugs etc and 6 amp for lighting. I have wired the lighting from the breaker to a motion/light sensor switch for the lights in the utility (2 x g24 fluorescents). From this switch i have continued the circuit to the workshop switch. This is a standard 2 way switch connected as a single way going to a further G24 light fitting. The neutral are connected via standard block connectors.

Everything works fine except now with the darker nights i have noticed, even during daylight, when i switch my workshop light OFF, the utility room lights come on. They will switch themselves off after the normal delay.

Any advice as to what's going on and how i can fix it. Its not a major problem, just frustrated that i cant think what's causing it to happen other than a voltage peak when i switch off the workshop light.

Sponsored Links
when i switch my workshop light OFF, the utility room lights come on. They will switch themselves off after the normal delay.
That's normally what happens when the supply to a PIR is switched on after being dead.

Could there be a wiring fault that might cut the power to the PIR when the workshop light is on??

OK, yes i see what you mean. I will check the voltage at the PIR with the work shop light on. Thanks i wouldn't have thought of it in that way.
Just thinking it through, The supply goes to the PIR first so i cant see how it loses power at any point. From memory the circuit is MCB To junction box. Two lines out of the junction box to the light switches, so a pretty simple set up

Sponsored Links
@ericmark, No i dont think so. This happens in daylight when if i just go into the utility room it doesn't switch on because there is sufficient daylight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back