Light not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got home and turned dining room light on, and one of the bulbs blew. I dug out replacement, reset circuit board switch. Got step ladder out and tried to place new bulb in while light was on..yes totally silly thing to do. Even sillier was that I tried to put screw fitting bulb in when it should have been bayonet type. Things fizzed, and I think arced. Now light does not work. Everything else is ok. There are 4 or 5 bulbs in fitting.

Any advice on what the problem is, and whether it can fixed. Is my light totally knackered. I am really annoyed for being to hasty. It what happens when you just arrvive home from work all tired and irritated. Can anyone give me some advice.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the light on a dimmer.
The short circuit may have now blown it.

Yes - light on a dimmer switch. Is it simply a question of getting a new one fitted now. I assume the light fitting is ok.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Hard to say without testing the input and output of the dimmer.

If the mcb is on, and no lamps lit, then it sounds possible, I assume they are standard 240 volt bulbs.

Unfortunately the triacs in the dimmer do blow, especially when a fault current passes through.

You may also have now damaged the two prongs in the relevant lampholder and that may cause problems, connecting to the lamp.
That should be evident from VISUAL inspection.
That though would not affect the other lamps on the fitting from working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back