Light not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a 2 way light switch in the hall and a light switch in the living room.
The light in the hall just won't come on. I've obviously changed the bulb and tried a couple just to make sure but there is no power getting to the light. Do I need a new ceiling rose or could it be something else? I was going to change the hallway switch but the wiring to the plug is extremely short.

I also notice that when I switch the light on in the living room the living room light flickers a couple of times then is fine.

I've changed the light switch in the living room and no change.

I live in a 1930s terrace that probably needs a rewire but haven't got that kind of money at the moment. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Do you think pulling the light switch away from the wall caused the problem ?

Or was it like that already ?

Don’t go buying and changing things. You’ll just be throwing your money away.

Sounds like a loose Connection, maybe in one of the ceiling roses.

Hi Andy it was like that before I moved the switch. Will give the ceiling rises a look at first see if that makes any difference. They only cost a couple of quid. After that I'm struggling.

Sponsored Links
You may not find the problem with a “look”. But it’s worth a quick check. I have never known a ceiling Rose actually fail itself. if you are going to spend any money, then a 2-probe voltage tester is what you need.

If you swap a rose and don’t know what your doing you are likely to end up with a much bigger problem. Ie no lights in the house working.

Changing the bulb holder, especially if it looks heat damaged is worth a go though.

And your flickering living room light is indicative of a loose wire somewhere, hopefully not in an inaccessible JB. In the absence of a multimeter, Isolate the whole house, unscrew switchplates and gently prise them out so you can check the screws. Keep an eye out for loose wires falling out, if that happens look and see where it came from. Same with ceiling roses including the living room one

Hallway light switch sorted. Had a loose wire in the box but the wires are tight. Need to move the light switch a little higher. Living room light still flickering but can live with that fir now.

It literally flashes twice then stays on. Flickering is probably the wrong word. Still not ideal I know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back