Light switch and a dimmer as well - possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, am a newbie here, found the site by accident - it's really helpful. I would like to put in a light switch (main light on/off) and on the same switch have dimmer control for other lights in room - any idea if I can buy such a switch from anywhere? Have looked in B & Q and Ebay, usual good sources, but not this time!
If anyone could tell me a retailer for such a project I would be grateful.
Thanks for reading this and for any help in advance

Sponsored Links
Try an electrical wholesaler, my local City Electrical has what your looking for on the shelf. Make sure that the back box of the switch is deep enough to accommodate the dimmer control and also that the dimmer is correctly rated for the attached load.

havent seen one with a switch and dimmer combined,never really looked though tbh,usually do it in grid switch format.

basically you buy a yoke to take the switch and dimmer(these are separate modules) and just click into the yoke to give you the desired effect.you then buy a cover plate to go over it.this maybe why you havent found anything.

just go into a wholesaler and tell them what you want to do and they will sort the rest out.

make sure you follow the advice given in the post above mine , also earth the yoke

Indeed - I've got a two gang box with 2 grid dimmers and an on-off switch in a 3 way plate.

Sponsored Links
Indeed - I've got a two gang box with 2 grid dimmers and an on-off switch in a 3 way plate.

Ok, thanks for telling me that, but where did you buy it from..? Thanks for all replies, all very useful and will be sending husband to the local City Electrical shop tomorrow!!
Thank you everyone for being so helpful to a newbie (and a woman at that!!)

You can get them online if you like.

Save Mr. essdee a trip out ;)

& & &

If you want to go for modules
You can also get push on/off switches
They look the same as dimmers but DO NOT DIM and just switch.

One of them and a dimmer on a two gang plate look nice.
Hamilton make them

If not as others said go for dimmer and normal style switch from the mk gridswitch range.
Both ways will proberly need a deeper box .

Ok, thanks for telling me that, but where did you buy it from..?
Just walked into my local electrical wholesalers. Go to yell.com, enter electrical wholesalers into the business type and enter your town and it'll show you ones near you. Or you can buy online, as RF Lighting says.

Make sure you get a deep enough pattress to accomodate the dimmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back