light switch confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can somebody please help
I have bought 2 x 2 gang 2 way light switches to replace my old ones and on arriving home i discovered they are different on the rear connections:
Original switch has 3 top connections L1,L2,L3 & same on the bottom
The new switch has usual COM on top & L1,L2 on the bottom
Any ideas ? have i the wrong switch?
Many thanks for any replies to help me out

Sponsored Links
Old switch l1 goes to com on the new one. L2 and l3 go to l1 and l2 on the new switch.

Sponsored Links
The same way as the old one, as we have told you, just connect each wire to the new corresponding terminals. Make sure you label them properly, or if the wires are long enough, move them one at a time. Do not confuse the two switches tho!

As i have only 1 com on the new switch does that mean that the wires on both the old L1 connections go to 1 terminal on the new?

As i have only 1 com on the new switch does that mean that the wires on both the old L1 connections go to 1 terminal on the new?
For a two gang switch you should have two com terminals.
How many cables do you have?
Can you provide photographs of the original cable set up and/or how you have connected the new one.

thanks
I only have 1 com and 1 L1 & L2
Not at the property until thursday as it is a refurb but will take photo and post
Many thanks for you help

Any ideas ?
o2s2.jpg

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:single-way-lighting#switch-terminal-markings

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:twogang

:confused:

Can somebody please help
I have bought 2 x 2 gang 2 way light switches to replace my old ones and on arriving home i discovered they are different on the rear connections:
thanks
I only have 1 com and 1 L1 & L2
Not at the property until thursday as it is a refurb but will take photo and post
Many thanks for you help
Any ideas ? have i the wrong switch?
Yes sounds like you have a one gang switch, the give away would be the single switch/rocker on front of plate!

Role in refurb electrics are i am changing all roses,light switches and sockets fronts.

Role in refurb electrics are i am changing all roses,light switches and sockets fronts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back