Light Switch Disable (how)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two way switching on my stairway, I have just fitted a PIR bulb, works well as auto switching, no more lights left on.
I have taped the two switches so they remain on, but they keep being switched, can I put a link in the switch or rewire it so they will not operate.

Sponsored Links
I have two way switching on my stairway, I have just fitted a PIR bulb, works well as auto switching, no more lights left on.
I have taped the two switches so they remain on, but they keep being switched, can I put a link in the switch or rewire it so they will not operate.

Link across L1 to L2 in either switch.

If you think this will save money think again. A PIR bulb while off draws a small current 24/7 which will probably outweigh the saving from leaving the light on for a couple or hours or so. Not to mention the rather high cost of a PIR bulb against a standard one.

Winston, thanks. Yes I'm aware that there is a small current when off. I just get so Pi55 off with lights being left on.

Sponsored Links
Winston, thanks. Yes I'm aware that there is a small current when off. I just get so Pi55 off with lights being left on.

Who leaves them on? Kids, wife, lodgers, a ghost. What about education. I was never allowed to leave lights on as a kid.

I was never allowed to leave lights on as a kid.

in those days, people used incandescent lamps, and many householders had not quite grasped the running cost difference between an electric fire and an electric light. Modern lights use only about one tenth the electricity.

The cost of running modern lighting is trivial. Lifetime of an LED is so long that replacement cost is also trivial.

You can reasonably put your hall, landing and porch lights on a timer so they are on during hours of darkness and wakefulness.

The cost of running modern lighting is trivial. Lifetime of an LED is so long that replacement cost is also trivial.
I wish...

Fitted 3 tripple fittings December 2016, all 9 LED cobs have failed and been replaced, just had to do 10th.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back