Do offset light switches exist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I repurposed an Ikea cabinet but obviously did not take into account walls being uneven and now I have reached the below scenario.

I wanted to replace the switch with a flat chrome plate but the switch is wider than the original pictured below so I will have a problem.

Do offset switches exist where the switch will actually be slightly closer to the left edge of the plate? Or can I replace this with a fused switch so actual switch will be closer to the left edge?

This is the porch so I believe an auto light would be better. Is the best scenario then to keep the wiring connected, cover with a flat blanking plate, and put an auto bulb in the fixing? I don't know how auto lights work, I'm just brainstorming.

Thanks.

Attachments

• shoe light (1).jpg
    shoe light (1).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 61
  • shoe light (2).jpg
    shoe light (2).jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
Thanks for that term.

So I assume this is what I do: Take out old back plate, put screw an architrave switch back plate in the left half of the hole, wire it up, pack the right side with expanding foam/cardboard, plaster over, then paint over. Is this right?

A euro-module and blanking plate may do it?
...or a grid switch and blank.
Thanks, this seems easier. I've tried to find a euro module switch on TLC site (it is local to me) but I don't get any relevany hits. Is it named something else please?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, this seems easier. I've tried to find a euro module switch on TLC site (it is local to me) but I don't get any relevany hits. Is it named something else please?
BG switches are available here:
Although Screwfix list a product as a grid switch, it appears to be a euro module:

Wouldn't a standard 2 gang light switch be the cheapest option.

eg https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-10ax-2-gang-2-way-light-switch-white/45240

Wire up the left hand side only. If the rocker switch on the right protrudes too far, by a low profile 2 gang switch.

Alternatively, purchase a bulb with a PIR sensor built in and, as you say, blank off the old switch.

I have no idea how long those bulbs last, so you might be better off fitting a proper motion sensor PIR.

Edit, if you go for the last option and have LED lights, make sure that the PIR will support the minimum wattage.

this two gang switch has the rockers spaced apart so might just clear the edge of the unit
sorry just read chrome flat

Move the cabinet, then stitch drill to the left of the switch, chisel it out then move the switch over, doesn't take long to do.

Fit a 1+1 gang back box and put a blanking plate on the right side to satisfy safe zone rules

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back