Light Switch not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to get the kitchen lights working. History: Lights were working (single switch). Replaced the standard rocker switch with a dimmer and the old ceiling lights with a new multi light contraption. Buzzing was coming from the dimmer when it was activated but as lights were working then thought nothing of it. One day lights not working - thought it must be switch got a new one, wired it in - same as previous but no luck.

Have borrowed a multimeter from work to try and test circuit and switch but need advice on where to go from here.

Missus getting very impatient. Please help.

Sponsored Links
I'm not clear what happened with the new dimmer switch was fitted - did the lights work and then fail, or just not work at all?

I would try to isolate the problem - switch, light or wires.

On the switch, I do know that dimmer switches have different ratings - minimum and maximum wattages - 60-250w is common and another goes up to 400w (don't know the minimum on this). Is the wattage of your new light fitting in the range of your switch? Perhaps you could put the old rocker switch back on and see if the lights work then - if they don't, it might be the light itself.

BTW, The installation instructions I have read on some dimmers say they may buzz and this is normal.

HTH

Was the new "contraption" ELV, or mains? If ELV, did it say it was dimmable, and did your dimmer say it could cope with ELV loads? If you've tried replacing the dimmer, but the lights still don't work, then my guess is that it was an ELV one with a transformer that didn't like being dimmed, and is now sh*gged.

But at this stage that's only a guess....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back