Light switch On Metal Cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to mount a light switch on the side of a metal cabinet in my garage, due to space issues I need the switch to be flush mounted on the side of the cabinet so basically the cabinet will be sandwiched between the faceplate and a pattress box with a big enough hole cut in the cabinet for the faceplate to fit.

Given the cabinet is metal with 240v passing through a hole in it I think it would be prudent to earth the cabinet, would it be acceptable to fit a decent size bolt to the cabinet and then run a cable from that bolt into the pattress box attaching it to the earth inside?

Light circuit in question will be rcd protected.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Anyway to perhaps use a pill cord maybe in ceiling with cable hanging down side of cabinet
May not work but saves cutting a hike and having box in the cabinet

Did this for daughter garage works well

But that didn’t answer the question asked

It's an idea but I'm having two sets of lights so would need two chords not sure I'd be keen on it.

How about using a drylining box in a larger square hole, and plastic switch so no metal interface.
Also box it and the cable in, inside the cabinet.

SFK

Sponsored Links
Given the cabinet is metal with 240v passing through a hole in it I think it would be prudent to earth the cabinet,
If you think the line(live) conductor might contact the cabinet, then yes.
If you think you might contact a line(live) conductor whilst also touching the cabinet, then no.

Earthing is a compromise dependent on what you consider the most likely hazard.

would it be acceptable to fit a decent size bolt to the cabinet and then run a cable from that bolt into the pattress box attaching it to the earth inside?
Yes.

Light circuit in question will be rcd protected.
Ok. That'll help.

I don't think I'll come into any contact with the cables, they'll be in a plastic conduit inside the cabinet to where they'll exit into the wall, it's just a case of what if really given its a 6ft cabinet that butt's upto my big metal workbench so would be a big amount of metal if it happened to become live

I don't think I'll come into any contact with the cables, they'll be in a plastic conduit inside the cabinet to where they'll exit into the wall, it's just a case of what if really given its a 6ft cabinet that butt's upto my big metal workbench so would be a big amount of metal if it happened to become live
No, not that cable; you might come into contact with another one - whilst using a tool, for example.

Reactions: SFK
Reading up on the quinetic has made me realise I can just wire both sets of lights to 2 seperate sockets and just use a couple of smart plugs and an app to control them, no switch required.

Reading up on the quinetic has made me realise I can just wire both sets of lights to 2 seperate sockets and just use a couple of smart plugs and an app to control them, no switch required.
Will you easily be able to get to the socket?
If the answer is yes, why on earth would you want to muck about with app control?

Yes and no, the socket would likely be on one of the side walls of the garage, it's an 8x6m double so with a car in it no I wouldn't be easily able to access them in the dark.

That's why I wanted the switch next to the door but due to workbench and cabinet layout there isn't a wall space at the door, smart plugs with an app is a simple solution, it's hardly a hardship to open an app quickly, or I could set it up with alexa so an app wouldn't even be required.

Each to their own but personally I'm finding many of the 'smart' devices are creating more problems than they solve, I can think of nothing more cumbersome than fiddling with a device when all that's wanted is to reach in and flick a switch. It may be a little more work at installation but then it's done, no problems with apps, wifi, internet, turning on following a power outage, etc.
Then what happens if someone unexpected needs to turn the light on, or for that matter more likely off when you forgot?

A friend recently purchased a new build on an estate and every single switch and light are 'smart'. Everytime there's an outage (which seems to be quite frequent wich the building works still in place) the lights randomly come on or off when power returns, neighbours devices interfere etc. Oh and all the switches require batteries which they don't bother replacing so have to use an app when going to the toilet... except visitors don't have the facility.

Unless there is an actual operational reason I fail to see the reason for adding expensive electronic devices.

Maybe I'm simply too old:cry:

I wouldn't say it's because your old, the what if someone else needs to operate them is a consideration especially if an accident occurs, the quinetic option provides a switch solution without the worry of cables making things inadvertently live and I should probably just swallow the cost of it really

I wouldn't say it's because your old, the what if someone else needs to operate them is a consideration especially if an accident occurs, the quinetic option provides a switch solution without the worry of cables making things inadvertently live and I should probably just swallow the cost of it really
Could the cables be run the same side of the cabinet wall as the switch. A piece of plastic conduit or minitrunking and surface back box would be a fairly neat solution without making big hole in the panel and with minimal electrical risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back