Light switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if you could help me

My kitchen / diner has to sets of ceiling lights, one for the kitchen and one for the dining room. The lights are worked via a 1 gang :?: light switch so both sets of lights come on at once.

The problem I have is that I have tried replacing the 1 gang with a 2 gang so I can switch on either the kitchen or dining room lights while not having to have both on. But I'm not sure what wire go where.

At the moment there are two cables coming into the metal box in the wall.Each cable contains a red wire, a black wire and a earth wire. The earth wires are conected to the metal box.

Sponsored Links
in liue (spelt wrong) of a pic how many of the existing wires wer used?

how to post a pic is in forum information

Sponsored Links
without a picture or description it could either be:-

1. 2 switch wires with the reds commoned and the switch wires commoned

2. the more comonly used nowadays way of putting the live / neutral at the switch and then to the light.. ( so one feed cable and one light cable.. )

3. one core of a T+E used as a feed with the black not used, the other T+E switching the 2 sets of lights.. or the other way with 1 T+E as the feed and switch to one light and a single core of the other T+E used for a switch wire to the other light..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back