Light switch replacement - any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there.
I am trying to replace a single light switch with a dimmer switch.

I was hoping to just use the same wiring configuration in the dimmer that was present in the single switch. The problem is that the current switch had 2 wires going into the L1 connector in the single switch and in my new dimmer the connecting hole is too small to take both wires. Can any one advise on how to wire up the dimmer switch (it is a 1 or 2 way) and what to do with the 2 wires?

Photo below of the wires. The brown wire on the left marked with black tape was connected to C, the other 2 brown wires to L1.

Any advice greatly appreciated. gareth

Sponsored Links
Your wire ends are doubled over. You need to snip the ends off and then strip about 10mm of insulation. The wires should now fit.

Keep the wire on it's own with it's end doubled over though.

Once the wires are in the terminals, you shouldn't be abble to see any exposed copper. If you can, you need to slightly shorten the copper ends.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back