light switch set up - just want to double check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and thanks for looking.

I have a light switch I want to change as the other day when I turned it on it sparked. I have bought a 1 gang 1 way switch. My problem is I have two brown live wires and not sure what brown wire goes to "common" and which brown wire goes to "L". Both the blue (neutral) and the yellow and green wire (earth) are fine and inside the switch mounting and I don't need to do anything with them. In the switch that has blown one brown wire was in "L1" and the other brown wire was in the section with a symbol of a wave and arrow symbol. Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you terminate one of the browns in com and the other in L1. The light switch should function. You may find that the light is upside down when the plate is fitted. So two options, spin the plate 180 degrees or swap the browns over.
The two browns are permanent live and switch live, normally perm live, would go to com and switch live to L1. To identify which is which, you require some test equipment that is capable of safely testing for voltage.
The brown core that is permanently live when tested is.........? You've guessed it perm live to com! and the second brown core will only be energised when connected across a switch in the on/closed position.

Sponsored Links
You may find that the light is upside down when the plate is fitted. So two options, spin the plate 180 degrees or swap the browns over.
Spinning is probably the best option. :D
A rather modest statement, I would say :) (and, just in case BAS is around, with only two options stated, it should be 'better', not 'best' {if not 'only'!} :) ).

Kind Regards, John

I thought you might notice that.

I used it just in case there were any other options; none of which would be better.
mischievous-grin-smiley-emoticon.gif

You may find that the light is upside down when the plate is fitted.
Are there many switches that don't indicate on the back which is top/up?
I don't know - but there probably aren't many.

One potential complication is that, as we have discovered during previous discussions, it seems that there is by no means universal agreement (at least, amongst the general public) as to what position of the rocker of a rocker switch should be 'on' and what position should be 'off'. If people's expectations/wishes vary, "upside down" is perhaps not as clearly defined (at least as far as 'users' are concerned) as one might think!

Kind Regards, John

One potential complication is that, as we have discovered during previous discussions, it seems that there is by no means universal agreement (at least, amongst the general public) as to what position of the rocker of a rocker switch should be 'on' and what position should be 'off'.
I disagree. I think you are taking your fair-mindedness too far again.

I do not know anyone who does not think that to turn ON a switch entails a downward motion of the finger - unlike the U.S.

A one-way switch, if not actually stating 'TOP', will have writing on it which, unless the manufacturer has chosen to write it upside down, will indicate the orientation and the switching as above.

The complication is only brought about by modern consumer units - older ones are very clear, the reason for which I am not sure - gravity assisting off operation?

I do not know anyone who does not think that to turn ON a switch entails a downward motion of the finger - unlike the U.S.
They seem to cope with it OK with n-way switching.

As presumably do people in the US who sometimes have to move a rocker or toggle down to turn the light on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back