Wiring a Light Swicth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am removing an existing light switch and replacing it with another.

The wires coming out of the wall are

2 brown
2 blue
1 Earth

The existing switch shows Load and Slave, but the new switch doesn't have Load and Slave written anywhere on the swicth so I don't know where to plug the brown and blue wires.

All I see on the new switch is: 10ax and 250v written, plus a King's crown symbol (with a W inside of it).

I also see a L1 and L2 symbol next to the wire holes.

Any ideas?

JH

Sponsored Links
Is the existing switch still wired up, if so note connections, mark cables take a picture.
If you can upload pictures of existing switch hopefully with cables connected and the new switch, would be helpful.

switch.jpg

Does the existing switch turn more than one light fitting on?
Could you turn the new switch over?

Existing looks like dimmer, new does not!
Can you see markings such as com/common, L, L1, L2, L3 on the new switch?

Sponsored Links
The existing switch is just one switch and the new one I am putting in is two switches.

I just dont have a single one handy. I only have a double.

Looks like the new switch is a Clipsal. I think the centre terminal is the common.

As the original configuration shows both blues together and both browns, you should keep that configuration.
I would suggest terminating the blues at either top or bottom terminal of one of the gangs and the browns in the central one.
As there are two of each blue/brown, this suggest something else is being switched by it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back