Light switch suddenly stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double gang hallway light which I replaced a few weeks ago with an electronic switch. It all worked fine until a few days ago, when suddenly the light stopped working.

What could be wrong? I don't know what to check first?

I've tried connecting the Live and switched Live wires together and then it works fine on one side (downstairs hall) but the other side doesn't work even if i touch the wires together.

[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Hi, you have checked the lamp/bulb is working ?

Sorry, got to ask :)

DS

You are using a blue as a permanent live? WHY??

In any case, live or switched live conductors must be oversleeved with brown or red.

Sponsored Links
You are using a blue as a permanent live? WHY??

In any case, live or switched live conductors must be oversleeved with brown or red.

Yes - the wiring is strange but that's how it was when i moved in.

I'll add an oversleeve though. Good point.

Strange wiring.

What does the switch that is not working operate?

The one that isn't working is for an upstairs hallway light switch.

Originally there was 2-way switching, but I terminated connected the downstairs wiring and terminated the switches some time ago. Then added a plastic cover plate. This set of switches is the only one I need to be able to operate upstairs and downstairs, as I have a wireless remote switch downstairs that operates this one - if that makes sense...

It all worked well for a few months and then suddenly one side stopped. I suspected it was the switch's electronics, but even if I connect Live to Switched Live it doesn't work, so probably it isn't the switch at fault.

What can I do to diagnose the problem?

Have you tested that there is still power at the upstairs Live wire?

Have you checked the terminations at the upstairs (switch) position.

Yes. This switch is the one upstairs. The one downstairs is terminated and no longer used.

Actually the upstairs light is the one that doesn't work anymore. Downstairs is fine. But if it is getting Live from this switch then what else could be wrong?

Yes. This switch is the one upstairs.
Sorry, vice versa then.

However, I now cannot follow your description.
There is confusion between switches and lights.

If you have power at the Live but the light doesn't work then it is -

the switch,
the wire from the switch to the light,
the light connections,
the lamp holder,
the bulb or
the neutral from the light back to the consumer unit.

Quite normal for blue to be permanent live if it's connected to a (red?) permanent live of a 2 core switch wire at the another 2 way switch (the 'master' one, if you like) or even at a jb.

I can't help thinking it would have been easier if you showed how the switches were wired before.

This shouldn't be difficult as you have no doubt made notes or took pictures first.

So that won't be a problem.

Phew.

Also, might be handy to look inside any corresponding switches that work in conjunction.

We'll solve it in no time once you can give us photos of the above.

Thanks for helping! Really appreciated. Yes - I do have pictures of how it was before when it was wired to the old 2 way 2 gang switch. I'll dig them all out.

Strange this is that it was working before and suddenly stopped. It's the third time that has happened now in my house (once for an extractor fan, once for a different overhead spot light). I'm starting to suspect I've got mice with a taste for copper.

So here are the pics, if this can help?

Just a reminder of what I did.
1. Connected together some wires downstairs so that I no longer have to use that switch (replaced with a remote control to new upstairs 2 gang switch)
2. Put in a new replacement 2 gang switch upstairs.

All worked for a few weeks but now the upstairs switch to upstairs hallway light no longer works. The switch next to it (which controls downstairs hallway) is still fine.

Any ideas what it could be?

...but the downstairs switch was two switches (the circuits now joined) and

the upstairs RH switch is an intermediate which indicates that there is a third switch on the circuit (which could possibly have been switched (off or on) meaning that your very strange wiring has caused the light to not work).

I would suggest you put it back as it was if you can and get it working as it was and start again.

the upstairs RH switch is an intermediate which indicates that there is a third switch on the circuit (which could possibly have been switched (off or on) meaning that your very strange wiring has caused the light to not work).

Brilliant! That was it.

I had spent hours trying out different things but had never considered there might be a third switch. Went up into the loft today and found it. Switched it on and now all perfect!

Thanks for the help.

I feel quite silly :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back