Light switch wiring - please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3 x 3core cables into a light switch, which I assume are from CU and 2 to lights. I also have a 10th cable, red sheathed in grey. What is this and what should I do with it? How can I tell which is the live feed and is this important?[/b]

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a loop in circuit but in you wall socket i'm guessing the single core is a switch cable exactly how many lights and switches are their controlling this part of the circuit?

There is no standard on how lights should be wired however there is a convention which most electricians follow.
This is to use the ceiling rose at each lamp as a junction box and as a result no neutral cables are taken to the light switch.
Also any two way or intermediate switching is done switch to switch and does not involve the main lamp.
We therefore have two core and earth cables (so really 3 cores) between lamp and switch and three core and earth (so really 4 cores) between switches all core except for earth being line.
(Note:- Both Neutral and Line are considered as Live however non electricians often consider only the Phase or Line wire as being Live)
Since two core and earth (or twin and earth as it is normally called) is really available and triple and earth is not quite so common many people use other methods of getting that extra wire.
I will guess that what you are calling three core is really twin and earth and the extra wire is because of some two way switching.
So exactly what cable is it?
How many switches on the plate?
Is there any two way or intermediate (latter used when more than two switches used) in use?
What type of lights. i.e. do they use standard ceiling rose? In some cases where spot lights have been fitted as original lights the switch box is used as junction box.
There are many wiring diagrams on this web site I include my little one showing general method. Before anyone can really help we must work out what you have.

Sponsored Links
Of the 3 twin and earths, 2 are live (red core). I thought these may be a ring circuit so, I joined them and then connected to both commons on the switches. Then put the single red on to the L1 on one switch and the red from the 3rd twin and earth on the other side L1. Neutrals and earths together. This then left me with the light in the lounge permanently on. The hall light didn't come on! This might have been a blown bulb. Might. However at the ceiling rose someone has wired 2 red cables together and then to one side of the light, and 2 black (neutrals) together and then to the other side of the lamp. I left it at this point. Someone has said that there may have been another cable in the ceiling which would be the neutral. I am lost!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back