Light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
roped to fix light switch and on removing switch found only 1 cable and 2 wires going into switch. Checked everything else rose, bulb holder, etc all seem ok. Shouldnt there be to cables and 4 wires going into back of switch? This is the limit of my messing with electrics which is obvious so sorry for asking something so simple

Sponsored Links
If it is a single switch it only needs 2 wires (1 cable). Presumably the switch only has 2 or 3 holes on the back to put the wires into? Is there also an earth wire and if so is it connected to anything? Is the switch metal or plastic? Is the back box metal or plastic? A photo might help.

Usually if a switch stops working either a wire has come loose (put it back and tighten the screw) or the switch has become faulty (replace it with a new one).

Obviously switch off the power and check that the wires are not live before touching anything.

What you have (1 cable) is quite normal for a one gang switch, 1 wire is Live and 1 i wire is switched live.
The main connections are usually done within the ceiling rose.

2 cables ( 2 wires in and 2 wires out) is still quite rare, but can have advantages

Thanks all, never thought switch could be faulty. I'll buy a new one and try that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, never thought switch could be faulty. I'll buy a new one and try that.
Before you do that do some testing.
Turn off the power, connect both wires at the switch together, this can be in a connector of some sort or simply both into one terminal of the switch.
Turn the power back on.. if the light works it looks like the switch at fault, if the light doesn't come on there is a fault elsewhere.

Thanks for that, tried it but light still does not work, I'm thinking it could be a fault in junction box upstairs or somewhere else. Will get a sparks in to locate the fault.

Have you checked the lamp, (bulb), in the ceiling fitting?
Try a different one or take that one out and try in a different room.

Yep, done all that including changing ceiling rose. In all fairness the house really wants a complete rewire, probably vermin have chewed the wire.
No kidding it's in a bad state

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back