Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had my house rewired. Plasterer has just finished covereing up the chisseled runs and skimmed over all the walls. I've just noticed that one of the light switches isn't straight, it's on a bit of an angle.

I don't know if I'm being overly fussy to expect this to be straight? If I get the sparky back, how much damage is he likely to do to the newly pastered wall to slightly rotate it?

I've also noticed that a couple of flushmounted sockets aren't quite flush, and are about 2mm out. Should I just fill the gap with caulk and paint over when I redecorate?

Sponsored Links
Have you actualled fitted the switch/socket faceplates yet?

Since you say the plastering has only just been finished, I assume you mean the backbox for the light switch isn't straight? If that's the case, there will very likely be enough play on the threaded tabs in the backbox to straighten things up when the switch itself is fitted.

If your flush backboxes haven't been mounted flush then either they weren't sunk deep enough or there's not enough plaster there. If you're fitting standard sockets rather than any fancy low-profile fittings then you might get away with the protruding backbox. If not, you'll have to fill around it as you suggest or find some other solution.

you can usually move the face plates a bit, by slackening the fixing screws, turning the face, and tightening the screws. this is because (at least) one of the fixing lugs is able to slide a bit for this very reason.

Of course, if the box was grossly out of level, all the adjustment mayl already have beeen taken up. If it was my house i would have it out and refix it, as it will always be annoying.

this is not difficult, but of course you must make sure the power is turned off, and avoid any damage to the cable.

edited: bah, too slow :mad:

Most wall boxes have an adjustable lug on one side, loosen the screws a bit and u should be able to line it up. Sometimes some plaster gets onto the adjusting lug so it cant move so u may need to take the switch off to see. Get him back if its really squint.

Plasterer should have skimmed those boxes flush. Decorator's caulk is the only solution unless u want the spark to sink them in deeper - then you'll have some replastering to do.

Sponsored Links
Faceplates have been fitted, which is how I can tell the switch is off centre and the socket isn't flush. They're not fancy, just standard white ones. I was advised not to go for chrome or brass because the wet plaster tarnishes them.

I think the backbox on the socket wasn't sunk deep enough. I don't really want to have to do any re-plastering, as its literally only been filled and skimmed this week.

I'll check the light fitting to see if there's any play in the backbox. I think the plasterer has skimmed right up to the backbox.

Thanks for your help guys.

For the sockets take off faceplate, protect area and "sand" down with and angle grinder. You'll need power for it so check out which circuits are where and if all on one circuit, be nice to your neighbour.

Thanks for the advice, managed to get the lightswitch level with some minor adjustment. Also got the socket as good as flush.

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back