Best way to create light switch hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI.

In my bloody flat all the doors open the wrong way.

Trouble is to fix this I need to relocate the light switches....

All my walls are solid (breeze block) do I simple chissel out a cavity and run the cable in one of those plastic things.

And for the main socket I guess a drill and chissel is the only way ???

I'm looking for replies with picture / links or best methods please

Sponsored Links
Based on my recent kitchen re-wire...

It depends what your wall coverings are. If they are dot and dabbed plasterboard and you have 16mm boxes then you wouldn't need to take-out anything - probably. Even if they are 25mm you will probably only need to shave a few mill out.

I believe it's okay to drill a hole level to the other side and feed the cable through. Don't forget this would probably leave the cable a little short. So instead of plastering over the old hole on the original side you may have to join the cable and put a blanking plate over the box.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I have can elaborate on the above.

Thanks for the reply..

Yes I am really looking for something a little bit more specific.

As mentioned I have solid walls, I know about putting in the box.

Its just seems to be to be a messey way of doing things.

Its time like these that I would'nt mind have plasterboard walls.

Then again if I did the property would be newer and the doors would be on the right way in the first place.

Apparently it was just the way things were done in the 60's

freestyle said:
Apparently it was just the way things were done in the 60's

And for many. many years before that. Are your bedroom lights also positioned just a couple of feet in from the windows?

Anyway, you have no real (and cheap) option but to use a bit of muscle. The length of switch cable might well be an issue. If it is I'd recommend that you replace the entire switch cable rather than extend it - you do have access to the ceiling void, don't you? Being a flat it would be unfortunate if you have neighbours above who won't let you take up their floor. (Just a thought) Anyway, see the 'For reference' post at the top of the Electrics UK forum for wiring diagrams.

Chasing out (cutting the channel) is quite straightforward with a lump hammer and bolster. Make the chase deep enough and wide enough to fix capping over the cable. Then make good with plaster. It will make a lot of mess.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the useful response.

Yes cable is so cheap I don't intend on extending it..

I am lucky to have the entire roof space.. ITS MASSIVE so I have easy access to do things like this.. Otherwise I would have no idea how this would be done.

I'll let you know how I get on

you can get drill bits what drill the square hole, but there a bit expensive for a DIY job. you could ask around if any1 has 1?

andrew2022 said:
you can get drill bits what drill the square hole, but there a bit expensive for a DIY job. you could ask around if any1 has 1?

For a few light swithes box cutters are simply unnecessary and they do create an awful lot of dust. By far the best way to cut a single gang box in brick or block is with a scutch chisel and lump hammer. It'll take ten minutes, tops.

BTW, Andrew, as you have a proper keyboard to type on there's no need to use the (annoying and lazy) mobile phone text version of what is otherwise a wonderful and expressive language. (Sorry, but it had to be said.) Oh, and it's should have, not of.

Breeze block is easy to chisel..

When you say open the wrong way, do you mean out into the hall as opposed to into the room, or left to right, ie Door open against the wall??

Hard Bricks are where your sds complains, a box sinker does naff all and the home owner complains when you use a diamond disk in a grinder..

Nice neat holes though.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back