Plastic surface pattresses - best way to create cable holes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is probably quite obvious, but...

Basically I'm often fiddling about with ethernet, satellite and general socket/switch connections in my loft, and I make use of quite alot of the surface mount plastic pattress boxes, such as this:

base_media

Now, I know they have "weakened" bits in the base you can knock out easily with a screwdriver etc. to make screw holes and cable entry points from the rear, but quite often I want a cable to come in from the surface and hence into the side of the box at the base. What's the best way of creating holes for doing this, as I'm often cracking the cases even if I drill them?

Sponsored Links
I use a fine hacksaw, and make two cuts down the grooves on the side of the box, and carefully remove the middle with a pair of pliers, then using a small file, remove all sharp edges and burrs, and then screw it down and present the cables to the box, wiring up the accessory, do the testing as appropriate, and screw on faceplate.

A pair of pliers? Look at the box from behind, you'll see around the edges where the cable entries are, theres a nook you can just get the pliers into. A quick sharp snap and its off, then use the screwdriver to knock the inner bit of plastic out.

Sponsored Links
A pair of pliers? Look at the box from behind, you'll see around the edges where the cable entries are, theres a nook you can just get the pliers into. A quick sharp snap and its off, then use the screwdriver to knock the inner bit of plastic out.

Snaping the whole lot out is going to leave quite a lot fo space around the cable, on the side or bottom it just looks naff, but on the top you have got the issue that it doesn't meet IP4X

I'd recommend a forstner bit in a cordless drill. Just be gentle & let it cut.
Not cracked one yet!
Alternatively, a dremel sanding drum does a fine job once you have a starter hole.

Thanks all for the tips!

I'll confess to not knowing that PVC boxes were available - I think I'll look at these next time as they look more suitable but, this time, I already had a box of cheap moulded ones from Wickes.

Using a combination of the above based on what tools I had, I found that knocking in the "weakened" bit from the front using a screwdriver was the best way as it avoided chipping where you could actually see it. After that, I tidied up what was quite a crude hole with a small file to give, in the end, quite neat square cut-outs. Would have preferred round holes though, so I think I'll look into a forstner bit (my first question would have been "What's a forstner bit?", but what a wonderful thing the 'tinternet is :D ):

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-forstner-bit.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back