Wallpapering/fabric behind surface mounted switch pattress boxes?

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever paint or paper around a socket or switch etc, be it flush or surface mounted.

Always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always remove the accessory completely, paint/paper the wall, and later replace it.
Don't hedge BAS, say what you mean!

Sponsored Links
<around 230 words, and almost as many commas, when the one word "Yes" would have been adequate!>
I'll be generous and assume that you wrote that because you are ignorant, and not because of a pathological desire to argue, and suggest that you go off and learn about the use of repetition for emphasis and the signalling of importance.

I'll be generous and assume that you wrote that because you are ignorant, and not because of a pathological desire to argue, and suggest that you go off and learn about the use of repetition for emphasis and the signalling of importance.
... and, in turn, I would suggest that you go off and learn that whilst a small/moderate amount of repetition can sometimes be of value "for emphasis and the signalling of importance", taking that approach to an extreme will very often be counter-productive - i.e. have the opposite effect to what you intend.

... and the same applies to the enormous fonts, 'one word per line' etc. you sometimes use. Techniques such as emboldening, underlining or going up 'one size' in font may sometimes be effective and justified for emphasis, but, say, going up 'multiple sizes' in font is likely to have the opposite effect.

Kind Regards, John

My recent "one word per line" to you was because I thought it might be an effective way to force your speed of reading down to a pace which matched your ability to understand.

Sponsored Links
My recent "one word per line" to you was because I thought it might be an effective way to force your speed of reading down to a pace which matched your ability to understand.
Well, what it actually achieved is that I didn't bother reading all the way to the last (double-spaced) line - hence, as I suggested, counter-productive.

Kind Regards, John

I'm afraid there is little I can do about people who CBA to read properly no matter easy I make it for them.

I'm afraid there is little I can do about people who CBA to read properly no matter easy I make it for them.
On the contrary, there is a very simple thing you could do to "make it easy for people (like me) to read" - specifically by putting all of the sentence on one line. What I "CBA" to do is scroll down through umpteen double-spaced lines in order to read the sentence. That may help you to understand what you have to do if you want me to read something.

Kind Regards, John

John - in that topic we went round and round with you either being genuinely unable to understand what the OP wanted to do, or wilfully pretending that you did not understand just so that you could argue with me.

With what I ended up doing you may well say that you CBA to read it, but you could no longer get away with pretending that you did not understand it.

And that, I suspect, is the real reason you shut up.

Never, ... ever paint or paper around a socket or switch etc, be it flush or surface mounted.

Always, ... always remove the accessory completely, paint/paper the wall, and later replace it.
Yet, many professional painters will tell you that the reverse is true. In fact, IME the majority of professional decorators will not remove anything at all.
I'm having to work hard not to be "quite blunt" with the decorator who's doing my Mum's new (to her) house. My brothers have been organising everything, electrical has fitted all new fittings - and the decorator is busy painting the edges of all of them :evil: It looks flippin awful.

They do not, and quite understandably, want any responsibility for electrical problems caused by lifting the switches and sockets.

They do not, and quite understandably, want any responsibility for electrical problems caused by lifting the switches and sockets.

Quite right, some won't want to remove a switch from the wall in case a wire drops out.

With wallpaper, it's usual for a decorator to loosen a flush fitting, but to cut round a surface mounted fitting.

Would you really expect most decorators to remove a large quantity of surface mounted pattresses for painting? I have to say I wouldn't.

Would you really expect most decorators to remove a large quantity of surface mounted pattresses for painting? I have to say I wouldn't.
No but masking tape wouldn’t go amiss! One of the jobs we’re on at the minute, I left the switches loose for the painter (no power on yet) he taped the top, and the donut still managed to paint the entire bottom half of a switch and not even notice :mad:

Yet, many professional painters will tell you that the reverse is true.
Some people will claim that the most egregious lies you can imagine are the truth.

In fact, IME the majority of professional decorators will not remove anything at all.
In that case the majority of professional decorators DGAS about doing a professional job.

I'm having to work hard not to be "quite blunt" with the decorator who's doing my Mum's new (to her) house. My brothers have been organising everything, electrical has fitted all new fittings - and the decorator is busy painting the edges of all of them :evil: It looks flippin awful.
Just tell him that he won't get paid if he does such a sh¡te job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back