Replacing single socket with double - attaching box to wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

Following on from my successful installation of an IKEA light unit in place of a pendant and ceiling rose I am now turning my attention to the room sockets. We have only two single sockets and since the room will be used as our study I want to upgrade these to doubles. I asked wife if she’s happy with surface mounted (so I don’t have to cut holes in the newly papered and painted walls) and she’s fine with that. I have been looking at pattress boxes for wall mounted sockets and it looks like the cutouts for screw holes will line up with the screw holes on the metal box in the wall.

My question is - would it be acceptable to just screw the pattress into these holes or should I mark and drill holes in the wall? Happy with either method but obviously reusing the existing holes will save the trouble of drilling!

Sponsored Links
I asked wife if she’s happy with surface mounted (so I don’t have to cut holes in the newly papered and painted walls) and she’s fine with that.
If she's happy with surface mount, why not get a slightly chunky, but easy to install 1G to 2G socket adapter...

trouble with relying on using the existing fixing screws to hold a new box over it is that it is VERY easy to tighten the screws too tight and crack the back of the new box meaning that it isnt held and you then have to drill holes ..........

If you are quick toolstation have 1g to 4g convertors

or you can get 1g to 3g

Last edited:
trouble with relying on using the existing fixing screws to hold a new box over it is that it is VERY easy to tighten the screws too tight and crack the back of the new box meaning that it isnt held and you then have to drill holes ..........

If you are quick toolstation have 1g to 4g convertors

or you can get 1g to 3g

I’d heard those socket converters were not rated to the same power rating as standard 2G sockets. Perhaps I’m mistaken?

Sponsored Links
the 3 and 4 way converters have fuse holders in them to rate them at 13A or less but if you are using them in a study/office 13A is more than enough for computers/printers/routrs etc. In effect the 3 and 4 way ones are just like a screwed to the wall extension lead

Additional sockets......Type A rcd needed
What does that mean? I’m not adding any additional sockets, just replacing two single sockets with double sockets.

So you started with 2 and you will end up with 4...additional sockets need a type A rcd

You don't need to change your RCD.
An electrical circuit/consumer unit doesn't care if you use single, double or triple sockets.

If you are using surface mount pattress boxes, you can cut a recessed block of wood to fill the hole in the wall. Use the holes fixings of the sunken box to screw the wooden block into the existing holes in the wall. Then attach a piece of plasterboard over this. Fill in any gaps in the plasterwork and mount you new boxes on the surface by screwing through to the wooden block. The mounting holes in a double pattress are in a different position to a single one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back