Replacing single socket with double - attaching box to wall.

If you’re feeling particularly lazy, you could just buy one of these. That’s what I did in our bedroom to power the TV, Firestick and cordless phone. I’ll do it properly next time I decorate and fit a flush double socket.

Sponsored Links
The latest edition of BS7671 requires that RCDs be type A in most circumstances, including supplies to sockets. However approved document P does not say that people should comply with the latest edition of BS7671. It says people should comply with "BS 7671:2008 incorporating Amendment No 1:2011.". That edition has no requirements with regard to RCD types.

Also BS7671 really lacks clear guidance on to what extent an installation should be upgraded as part of a modification. In particular my understanding is that the type A requirement is written as a requirement on the RCD not as a requirement on the socket.

You don't need to change your RCD.
An electrical circuit/consumer unit doesn't care if you use single, double or triple sockets.

If you are using surface mount pattress boxes, you can cut a recessed block of wood to fill the hole in the wall. Use the holes fixings of the sunken box to screw the wooden block into the existing holes in the wall. Then attach a piece of plasterboard over this. Fill in any gaps in the plasterwork and mount you new boxes on the surface by screwing through to the wooden block. The mounting holes in a double pattress are in a different position to a single one.
Ok thanks. Not really sure why someone would insist that I need to change my RCD without seeing my current setup.

If you’re feeling particularly lazy, you could just buy one of these. That’s what I did in our bedroom to power the TV, Firestick and cordless phone.

That wouldn’t be suitable in our case unfortunately.

Sponsored Links
The latest edition of BS7671 requires that RCDs be type A in most circumstances, including supplies to sockets. However approved document P does not say that people should comply with the latest edition of BS7671. It says people should comply with "BS 7671:2008 incorporating Amendment No 1:2011.". That edition has no requirements with regard to RCD types.

Also BS7671 really lacks clear guidance on to what extent an installation should be upgraded as part of a modification. In particular my understanding is that the type A requirement is written as a requirement on the RCD not as a requirement on the socket.
So in layman’s terms for an idiot like me, what does that mean about my plan to upgrade my sockets? Can I do it or not?

You can always ring Napit or the NICEIC And check
You don't need to change your RCD.
An electrical circuit/consumer unit doesn't care if you use single, double or triple sockets.
Yes it does............... when you adding more equipment that can introduce more D.C leakage that could blind the Type AC rcd and stop it working............Your giving Bad advice

Yes it does............... when you adding more equipment that can introduce more D.C leakage that could blind the Type AC rcd and stop it working............Your giving Bad advice
So every time someone plugs in a multiple extension lead they have to change the RCD or contact one of the schemes for clarification?
That could be a right money-spinner for fraudsters.

I have to say I find this debate very interesting. Interesting that I’m not the only person who has asked for advice about upgrading sockets etc on here and yet none of those people were told they had to get a Type A RCD.

there must be millions of homes with lots of items plugged in and getting plugged in in addition to whats already there and none of them will even need or even think they need to change an rcd type

there must be millions of homes with lots of items plugged in and getting plugged in in addition to whats already there and none of them will even need or even think they need to change an rcd type
I’ve been plugging all sorts of stuff in for years and I’ve never had any problems. Never even heard of a Type A RCD before today either.

Do you trust everything they say - especially NICEIC?

Will they be adding more equipment or just plugging in the same in different places?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back