Light Switch not fitting flush to wall (Screwed plate)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening!

I've recently run into an issue with LAP 10AX brushed stainless steel light switches I'm fitting at home (with the help of my old retired sparky dad). Despite having a flat profile, they aren't sitting flush against the wall. Strangely, they seem to be bowing a bit.

I've attached a couple of images for reference. I've checked the evenness of the wall (freshly plastered) and the tightness of the screws, but there seems to be a couple of mm gap on these. Is that the way they're just supposed to sit or not?

Has anyone else faced a similar problem?

Attachments

• IMG_0216.jpeg
    IMG_0216.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0217.jpeg
    IMG_0217.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0215.jpeg
    IMG_0215.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
What size back boxes are you fitting them to, I used to find you needed a 25mm box for that type of switch.

What size back boxes are you fitting them to, I used to find you needed a 25mm box for that type of switch.
Yeah even though the 1-gang says 16mm minimum and 2/3-gang 25mm I actually have a 25mm metal back box for the 1-gang and 35mm metal back box for the 3-gang.

It doesn't seem right to me at all and not sure why they're sitting so bowed

Have you over tightened them ? Are the walls nice and flat, flat plate accessories don't like wonky walls. Is there a very slight lip of plaster round the edge of the back box? From pic 1 it looks like either the plaster isn't flat on the edge of the back box or the innards of the .switch doesnt fit in to the recess fully

Sponsored Links
Have you over tightened them ? Are the walls nice and flat, flat plate accessories don't like wonky walls. Is there a very slight lip of plaster round the edge of the back box? From pic 1 it looks like either the plaster isn't flat on the edge of the back box or the innards of the .switch doesnt fit in to the recess fully
I don't think so, and it's on a fresh skim coat so it should be. In pic 1 you might be right with the innards as there are a lot of wires due to it being a 3-gang.

Weird as the bottom looks to be sitting pretty flat.

Pic 3 is on new boards with a skim coat over too so should be completely flat.

Gonna double check the boxes today, make sure there's no debris then give it another go. If nothing then I'll probably look to change the switches

Well, the switch is definitely bent.

View attachment 317888

Or the wall kicks out near the screw fittings.

As a decorator, I often come across flush fittings not sitting flush. I remove the screws and sand up to the back box, and then fill as required.

In the OP's image, the top right of the wall might be too high. As the OP tightens it, it might be distorting the plate.

Do you mean - - - bending it? :)

Well, that is a form of distortion.

I am at the end of the food chain. The electrician fits it, possibly notices that it isn't flush, and then expects the decorator to deal with it.

The same happens will all of the other trades before me, plasterers, chippies, and so on...

It's hard to be sure when a camera lens in involved. But offering up a straight edge (e.g. steel rule) to the back of the socket should prove beyond doubt whether the socket is flat or not. Maybe it was always bent or maybe it has become bent when being screwed in against something sticking out proud of the wall. This is something that can only be tried on site.

As you have 25 and 35 mm metal back boxes, could there be an used fixing lug at the top and bottom, that needs removing?

Well, that is a form of distortion.

I am at the end of the food chain. The electrician fits it, possibly notices that it isn't flush, and then expects the decorator to deal with it.

The same happens will all of the other trades before me, plasterers, chippies, and so on...
Not the problem with the actual topic - but most of your problems start with the dryliners not cutting round metal boxes properly...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back