light wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm replacing a single ceiling light with four halogens. The current wiring is a L/N/E connection with all the earths connected into one terminal; all the lives are taped together; the neutrals are in one terminal and finally the live switch wire is on it's own in a terminal.

The halogens i have bought have only a live and neutral terminals. Can i just link them to the L/N terminals to the existing system?

Thanks

Jezz

Sponsored Links
Connect the live to the switched live terminal and the neutral to the neutral terminal. Do not touch the live terminal. Make sure all the earths are connected together.

Thanks! One final thing. There is no earth on the lights - instructions say that they are double insulated and don't need to be earthed. is that correct?

Cheers

Jezz

All junctions must be in enclosed boxes (no open terminal strips) and must be accessable.

Re the earths, these must be carried thru the wiring to each light fitting, even if the light fitting itself does not have an earth connection.

I guess these are mains halogen?

Sponsored Links
Again, thanks. The wiring as i found it was all open. None of it was enclosed. Have got a junction box to place all the wiring in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back