light wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can any one help: I have a double light switch in the dining room. one ceiling light and a wall light and I'an stuck on wireing them up. I have searched the internet for a diagram but cannot find one. I have replaced the old 1mm with twin 1.5mm plus earth and an extra single wire. (there were 3 wires originally) I recently had a new consumer unit fitted and there was a fault in the dining room so I pulled all the wires out. I need it so that one switch operates the celing light and the other the wall light. thanks in advance.

//www.diynot.com/network/j9523johnp/albums/14498
Hi I'am new to this, I put 3 photo's on if you can see them, switch front. switch back- how it was. how i have tried. two live wires one negative wire but when I switch on both lights come on together.

Sponsored Links
lights.bmp

I made the above drawing a long time ago to try and show all the different types used in a UK house.

The ceiling rose in the UK doubles as a junction box however when people buy European lights they often remove the ceiling rose and in doing so hide some of the wiring.

However from what you say can't really work out what you are trying to do or need.

I have sorted it. I did not want to experiment with 240 volts so I experimented with 12 volt. on the back of the double switch there are 2 connections at the top. one goes to blub 1, the other goes to bulb 2. the other wires from the blubs go to negative. on the bottom of the switch there are 4 connections: 2&1 2&1 The two connections "1" are looped. A wire from 1 goes to positive.

Sponsored Links
That's an odd way to wire it, but it will work just fine.

Domestic supplies are AC, not DC - there is no positive and negative - the voltage of the Line conductor with respect to Neutral goes from 0V to +325V to 0V to -325V and back to 0V 50 times a second.

yes i do know however no harm in pointing it out
regards john
P.S. I have added a photo to show how it is wired in the junction box

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back