Lighting Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not really a technical query- so not sure if this is best here or in the projects section.

About to specify lighting for our renovation works which are going on. Electrician I believe is coming in next week (builder's subby) so need to make a few decisions.

Outdoor Lighting - we want this to be functional ( our garden is about 8m wide and 7m long) and we just need enough light to take the dog out at night but also to provide a bit of light to a 4 x 4m decked area. We were thinking of the up/down wall wash lights either side of our back window and the same either side of our bifolds which will face the decking, however after driving past a house the other day it occurred that these probably wont throw much light into the garden. I could go with an LED flood, but they dont have the same aethestic appeal as the up/down wash lights. Any ideas?

Kitchen - 4.5m x 3m - we were thinking of having a central general purpose light in the middle, then a light in each corner (a bit like a number 5 domino) but with the two sides linked, so we only have 3 switches. Not sure what fittings to go for though- dont think recessed is particularly for us. Kitchen is to be a shaker style if that helps and one corner used for a dining table. We will of course be having under cabinet lighting to help with the surfaces.

Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Outdoor - surely you must see something here which you like?

If you get something on posts then the dog will appreciate them too.

As for the kitchen - again it's so much personal taste. I like minimalist functional lighting, so I've got recessed (but not those useless little 2" diameter torches). Owing to two unfortunate plumbing failures in the bathroom I need a new ceiling, and I'm thinking of putting in LED panels.

Other people like chandeliers. :confused:

You need to start hitting the web, and decent lighting shops, and you probably need to start a couple of months ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back