Lighting an inglenook

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy. Got my head scratching with this....

I've got a large inglenook, the register plate is about 2m from the top of a stove thats fitted, I'd like to have a gentle light that I can switch on/off to illuminate the inglenook.

I guess I can cable in fp200 or similar? what about the light fittings though? Any ideas on the best way to do this?

Sponsored Links
This is what I will be installing in my ingle nook when I get round to it.

ingle strip.jpg

The 12 volt supply will be from a variable AC supply ( an ancient Variac in my case ) to provide dimming from brilliant white down to a warm orange glow.

The lamps are to be connected in PARALLEL not series ( EDITED )

Series connection would allow a 230 volt to 0 volt supply to be used but should a lamp fail open circuit then all the lamps would go out

The advantage of incandescent in this application is that as the voltage reduced the colour changes from harsh white to a soft orange glow.

Last edited:
Howdy. Got my head scratching with this....

I've got a large inglenook, the register plate is about 2m from the top of a stove thats fitted, I'd like to have a gentle light that I can switch on/off to illuminate the inglenook.

I guess I can cable in fp200 or similar? what about the light fittings though? Any ideas on the best way to do this?
Candles !

DS

Sponsored Links
anyone got a link to any suitable lights? the cable can be buried under the lime mortar.

I am doing a similar but smaller project - and opted for these:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KLT5WW.html

Though they're not yet wired in so I can't tell you what they look like or how resistant to heat they are. I picked them because I estimate the aluminuim housing will help add to the robust requirements for operating in an area with intense heat.

Nozzle

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back