Lighting Circuit Dead – But no breaker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all :D

I’ve just moved into a new house. It’s a 1993 build, with original consumer box. It had a small conservatory build in approx 1996.

The lighting in the conservatory (a ceiling rose and two wall lights) does not work, nor does and outside light. Having checked the bulbs, I figured that these must be on a common lighting circuit, and that either the breaker had tripped or was faulty (note that socket outlets in the conservatory do work).

On investigating last night however, my consumer unit has two RCB’s marked ‘Lights’. As you might expect, one appears to control upstairs lighting, and one downstairs. Neither control the conservatory/outside lighting. Nor do any of the others (Cooker, Power 1, Power 2).

My question is, if there appears to be no control on my consumer box for this circuit, what on earth is it wired to? How can I trace the other end of the cables without digging out all of the walls? The house construction is a typical 2-storey brick build, with screed lower level floor. The consumer box is in the integral garage, with the main fuse mounted in the meter box outside, just through the garage wall.

Is it worth getting my multimeter out and checking for 240V at the conservatory light switch? Am I missing something stupid?

Cheers in advance for any help!



Tom

Sponsored Links
My guess is a fused connection unit off one of the socket circuits. Do you have a switch-sized faceplate with a fuse and probably a switch on it somewhere?

The lighting in the conservatory (a ceiling rose and two wall lights) does not work, nor does and outside light. Having checked the bulbs, I figured that these must be on a common lighting circuit, and that either the breaker had tripped or was faulty (note that socket outlets in the conservatory do work).
Could be a Fused Connection Unit from a nearby socket or
a loose wire where it connects to the lighting circuit.

On investigating last night however, my consumer unit has two RCB’s marked ‘Lights’. As you might expect, one appears to control upstairs lighting, and one downstairs. Neither control the conservatory/outside lighting. Nor do any of the others (Cooker, Power 1, Power 2).
MCBs ?
How do you know which may control the conservatory if the lights don't work?

Is it worth getting my multimeter out and checking for 240V at the conservatory light switch? Am I missing something stupid?
If either the FCU or a loose wire as above you will indeed need your meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back