2 wires into one breaker for lights in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my friend has a small consumer unit in his garage with two breakers, one for lights and another fr sockets. He has one light in his garage and one outside light on the front of his garage.

The cables from both lights go back into the same 6amp breaker, is that right? Shouldn't there be a junction box instead so that only one cable is in the breaker?

I replaced the outside light and noticed today.

Sponsored Links
Put it this way. It doesn't break any regulations.

Some people think it's a bit rough, but it may have been the best way to do an add-on.

If you had the choice of two conductors in the one MCB where you can see them, or the conductors jointed in a scraggy, hidden away junction box.

Which would you prefer?

Ideally the cables should go into separate mcbs, but that's hardly realistic - in the real World

Sponsored Links
Some people think it's a bit rough

I really don't understand why. How do they feel about a ring circuit?
For the record, I don't understand why either. It just seems to go against the grain with some people.

I was just trying to give the OP a balanced point of view, to avoid a long thread with extreme points of view causing confusion. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back