Wiring outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a junction box in my garage which supplies power to lighting and sockets, I now want to add an outside light, I have tried two methods 1:wiring from the switch (carrying two way lights.)and from there to a switch and onwards to the outside light,this resulted in the light remaining on and lack of control of my garage lighting. 2: wiring from the junction box to the light switch and on to the outside light result: the circuit breaker and the house breaker failed. Can anyone put me on the right path or am I being stupid and not seeing the obvious?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you are missing the obvious.

You need to connect to the permanent live and neutral (presumably at the junction box) and then interrupt only the live - NOT the neutral - with the switch and then on to the light.

Thanks EFL, I,m going to fit a junction box and have a switched black red sleeved attached to the main feed positive terminal with all others with their respective negative and positives and earthed.

Not sure I understand that.

Why do you need another junction box?
We don't have positive and negative; it's Line and Neutral (both of which are, in fact, live) plus a Circuit Protective Conductor (earth).

Sponsored Links
I think you don't have a clue and are a danger to yourself. Call in an electrician. It will cost you money but better than costing you your life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back