fitting an outside security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting an outside security light,I have an electrical supply running between the house and garage. Can I just put a junction box off that supply and fit my light to the new box with a outside switch?

Sponsored Links
What's the rating of the circuit supplying the garage?

What type and size is the cable?

How is the cable installed?

After you answer BAS's questions, I think you find it's a no.

Where does the cable come from ( direct from CU, from behind a socket in the house??? )

The cable supplying the garage is a 1mm 3 core, which comes off a double socket that supplies the fridge, which is under a working surface.Between that and the garage someone has put another double socket(which is live but isn't needed) under the working surface.

Sponsored Links
ian413 said:
The cable supplying the garage is a 1mm 3 core, which comes off a double socket that supplies the fridge, which is under a working surface.Between that and the garage someone has put another double socket(which is live but isn't needed) under the working surface.

Oh dear. But very honest of you, it is by far too small to do anything, may i suggest you try a search on power for outbuildings, power to shed, power to garage, external power. it will be quite enligtening (no punn intended)

breezer said:
ian413 said:

Oh dear. But very honest of you, it is by far too small to do anything,
It's far too small to be safe in its present use. Ian413 - you came here hoping you'd find out about fitting a light, and instead you're going to get advised to rip out the garage supply cable and replace it with one which is safe.

How far is it to the garage?

Is it connected, or is there open air between it and the house?

What loads do you use in the garage?

Is the socket spurred from on an RCD?

The cable goes underground to the garage approx 5 metres away. In the garage there is a junction box, from which a double socket is powered as is the lighting of 4 flourescent lights.

ian413 said:
The cable goes underground to the garage approx 5 metres away. In the garage there is a junction box, from which a double socket is powered as is the lighting of 4 flourescent lights.

your point?

1) 1mm² cable is too small to be spurred off a ring main, as the fuse/MCB rating is way in excess of what the cable can safely carry.

2) 1mm² cable is too small to supply the load of a double socket and the lights you already have, let alone adding substantially more load to it.

3) You still haven't said what type of cable it is - ordinary Twin & Earth, or armoured?

4) When you say it goes underground - how? Just buried? In conduit or ducting? How deep? Under what?

5) You still haven't said whether this circuit, which could reasonably be expected to supply equipment outdoors, has RCD protection or not.

6) You need to forget about fitting a security light for now, and concentrate on putting right what you already have. If you do a search here for words like shed, garage, outbuilding, outhouse, outside, and you'll find lots of info on the correct way(s) to run power to your garage.

Maybe all this is on a 6A breaker? no one yet said what comes before the fridge socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back