Lighting circuit issues...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

before I start, thanks for a great resource, this site has been indespensible.

Anyway, recently moved into a new house. One of our upstairs bedroom light doesn't work. I changed the fitting on a hunch and still not working. Also changed switch, no luck. So I decided to check out the cabling in the attic to see if anything obvious has happened.

The wiring is described in the faq as 'light circuit using single core and earth cables, looping at switch'. The broken light fitting is at the end of the circuit. The previous light on the circuit is in the bathroom. My next idea is to test the cables running from bathroom light/switch to bedroom to see if any are bust. I have a few concerns.

Ive read that single cables should be protected by conduit. Is it safe (& legal) for me to ignore the fact that none of my cables are protected by conduit or should I get something done about it?

If I do need to replace a cable from the bathroom to bedroom can I

a) do this legally (as it terminates at bathroom light fitting/switch)
b) I assume its a good idea to change the bedroom to use a rose type circuit? (NOT single cables)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
If you currently have double covered singles (usually has a grey exernal sheath) then the wiring is ok as it is.

You only need conduit protection if you have single insulated conductors. (usually coloured depending on what it does but typically red/black or brown/blue)

It doesn't matter if the wiring remains on loop in at the switch, or you change it to loop in at the ceiling rose, just do which ever is easiest, (although loop at the switch is easier if you are putting a fancy fitting in the bathroom)

If you are replacing like for like, then the work is not notifiable.

Sponsored Links
The cable has a grey sheath, so that's one less worry! Thanks for the responses, greatly appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back