Lighting circuit questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently redoing my bathroom and have ripped out all the old hardware/fttings etc.

The junction box in the loft which supplies the ceiling light has additional length of cable which fed a shaving socket(lower cable on the top left)

If i wanted to add a set of additional under wall unit lights controlled off a separate switch from the main light and also keep the feed that was used for the shaving plug to power an illuminated mirror.
Would it be case of wiring in another junction box as described in the electrics guide?

Is there anything else that would need doing?

Sponsored Links
You don’t need an additional junction box. simply cable the permanent LN&E to the new switch and another cable to the new lights.

Wire it like this. Ignore the cable marked “supply to next light”
582A02DC-7727-40F2-AAFF-5349D0D84236.jpeg

It is considered that more than three wires in a terminal can result in a poor connection, so for example one spur from a socket on a ring, however there is no rule that says you can't have 10 wires in same terminal.

So if in some countries bathroom is a special location so England and Wales Part P raises it's ugly head, but as long as you register the work you can do as you say.

However in the main cost of registering is more than using a scheme member so in real terms can't work in a bathroom.

I would have thought that the more wires there were in a terminal, the more likely they are to be squashed together satisfactorily.

For example, if you only had two then bending each one double would result in four and better fill the terminal.

Once again, Eric, Part P is nothing to do with anything except stating that all work must be done to ensure safety.

Sponsored Links
Once again, Eric, Part P is nothing to do with anything except stating that all work must be done to ensure safety.
What's wrong with Part P?
OK poor English on my part, it is the registering of work required by Part P which is a problem, well not even that, not sure on England but in Wales first £2000 worth of work costs £100 plus vat, if it started at first £500 and £25 then not so bad, but a simple job costs too much, where the cost of registering exceeds the cost of the whole job.

Yes I know you can break the law, but even if it is a crazy law, it is still law.

That's nothing to do with Part P, do you mean the Approved Document P?
The requirements for notification (which eric is now calling "registration") of notifiable work are defined in The Building Regulations, of which Part P is part (sorry :) ).

Approved Doc P may or may not mention the requirement of the Building Regs (I can't remember, and can't be bothered to look!) but it's the Building Regs themselves which actually define the requirements for notification.

Kind Regards, John

Yes I in error called it registration rather than notification, but result is the same.
Currently redoing my bathroom
As far as I am aware this needs notifying, and yes you can DIY, but the cost is silly, lucky due to being for use by the disabled I was not charged to notify, however it was not just the notifying, it also needed inspection and testing, in the end they accepted my signature, but to start with they wanted to use a third party inspector, which I would need to pay for as well, this was going to add some where between £150 to £200 to the bill, as which point DIY becomes questionable as very little saving if any.

Yes I in error called it registration rather than notification, but result is the same.
Sure, that's not an issue. However, the point is that, despite what you so often say or iumply, whether notification is or is not required is nothiong to do with Part P, per se - let's face it, Part P itself remains identical in England and Wales, yet the notification requirements in the two countries are totally different.
As far as I am aware this needs notifying ...
As far as the electric work is concerned, "redoing my bathroom" would only be notifiable in England if it involved electrical work within bathroom 'zones' or involved 'new circuits' (the one any only other reason for requiring notification in England, namely "replacing a CU", is hardly likely to be relevant in a bathroom :) ).

Kind Regards, John

Must be protected by an RCD and a Minor works cert issued

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back