Lighting circuit questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of questions I was hoping to get answered on what seems like a very knowledgeable board.

I am extending a lighting circuit into a new extension I have been building. I have read all of the info on this board and other sources that describe how to extend the lighting circuit based on whether it is a radial circuit with or without junction boxes.

On inspection I have found that my lighting circuit is different to the 2 circuits described. My house was only rewired approx 3 years ago so it should be up to modern standards but it seems to use a single junction box with just a single twin and earth cable running to the switch and another to the ceiling rose. Somehow the switching seems to be done at the JB?

To extend the circuit I have taken a feed from this junction box to a second 20a junction box and then run all my new lights (4 additional ones) from here with a switch cable at the ceiling rose using the loop-in model.

Is this okay or do I need to do something different?

What type of circuit do I have ?

Also as the plastic mounting boxes I have bought (plasterboard pattresses) do not have an earth connector I have cut the earth at both ends so its not earthed to the light or the switch.

Is this dangerous/unacceptable?

I would appreciate your advice as I still have time to change the wiring as no plasterboard/floors are in yet.

Regards

D

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have the jb method, where terminations are made in a jb instead of the ceiling rose.

The switching is still done at the switch, but the wiring is terminated in the jb (instead of rose) and all you have at the rose is a switched live, n & E. No live loop.

As long as you have fed your new lights from the live loop, not the switched live, you should be OK. If your new lights go off with the existing ones, then you've got it wrong.

Make sure you have followed the wiring digrams in the reference section, and you can't go far wrong.

It is deemed good practice to connect all earth conductors, whether used or not. THe loose end in the switch can be sleeved as normal and taped up. Of course, if you have a metallic switch plate, you will need to connect this earth to the terminal on the plate to comply.

Thanks for that, I have taken the feed from the live loop and I have got the lights working fine I was just a little worried that I was doing something dangerous. I will as you now advise tape and sleeve the loose earth in the switch and ensure its connected at the rose.

You would reccomend that I change the way I am feeding all my lights from one junction box to a feed from multiple junction boxes (1 per light)as per the wiring diagrams I have seen elsewhere?

Your advice is really helpful as the type of wiring circuit I have is just not described anywhere.

Can I ask another question or is it considered etiquette on this forum to open a new post?

I recently rewired all the lights in a terraced house and opted for the junction box method. I used a 3 terminal box to split downstairs from upstairs then three '4 terminal' boxes in series downstairs and another four '4 terminal' boxes in series upstairs. each box having 4 cables 'feed in' /switch cable/ceiling rose cable/ feed to next box if applicable.
Basically it is just the same as the loop in method as the ceiling rose is also a junction box. I found it easier to wire because I had easy access to the junction boxes below floorboards or in the loft.
It's advisable to connect all earth wires to the switch plate and from switch plate to back box ( that's if it's metal ).
What was your other question?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
dunny said:
Thanks for that, I have taken the feed from the live loop and I have got the lights working fine I was just a little worried that I was doing something dangerous. I will as you now advise tape and sleeve the loose earth in the switch and ensure its connected at the rose.
And connected at the junction box(es)...

You would reccomend that I change the way I am feeding all my lights from one junction box to a feed from multiple junction boxes (1 per light)as per the wiring diagrams I have seen elsewhere?
No reason why you shouldn't have multiple lights/roses fed from one JB

Your advice is really helpful as the type of wiring circuit I have is just not described anywhere.
Does this look like it?

switch2.jpg

Can I ask another question or is it considered etiquette on this forum to open a new post?
More efficient to ask a new one with an appropriate title, if it's not a follow on.

That diagram looks like the set up that I have. Thanks a lot I now feel confident that I can complete this part of the job.

Mandate - I will post my other question under a separate topic. It is related to replacing my now defunct shower cable with a feed to a second CU to power up my garage. I need to digest the infomration already provided by this forum first to save asking unnecessary questions.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back