lighting design-who to ask?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a top end kitchen to design,make,and install,and I want to use lighting to enhance the setting,but am out of my depth,and most of the electricians i know are reluctant to advise on designer lights,so i was wondering how to get sensible advice.

Sponsored Links
I want to use lighting to enhance the setting

That is fine when it is not being used as a working kitchen and when mood and ambience are important.

For cooking and other kitchen activities consideration of mood and ambience come second to lighting that is both applicable to the tasks involved as well as safe and reliable.

Last weekend I supplied an emergency light to a neighbour for their kitchen. They had had a power cut while cooking and lost all lights while a deep fat frier was in use.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
Steve; modern -black corian,veneered,bespoke cabinets.

ricicle; Thanks-will check out the local wholesaler

Bernarnd; Thanks-mood of course is secondary to function,and this customer is a serious foodie,but folks spending a load on a kitchen like to sort of present it to new visitors,but cost might rule out extra lights anyway,but i thought I'd get some info.

You want small spots in the ceiling, LEDs are coming on now, if they are spending a lot of money this might appeal, but you will need extra lighting such as fancy rise and fall pendants over any eating areas. If not LEDs, then CFLs or halogens.

Then for task lighting, use fluorescent strips under the wall cabinets, or a few extra spots (halogen or CFL) on the ceiling if there are no upper units.

Also consider cheaper LEDs in the plinth, this can look very good.

Compact Flourescent Lamps. Better known as energy saving light bulbs, but they come in many shapes and sizes such as a thin round disc, which is ideal for under cabinet lighting.

Fluorescents will get warm in use, but they are still cool enough to touch.

It sounds like your customer actually had halogen lights which do burn very hot.

Plinth light can also be used with a controller to creat different effects. One of my customers has them ,very effective.

Fluorescents will get warm in use, but they are still cool enough to touch.

I have a burn on my finger that begs to differ.. from 3 days ago when I tried to change out a CLF that had just poped...

CFL's do get hot as do most normal fluorescents tubes.. though most tubes are not too hot to touch if handled near the middle, the hot bits are at the ends..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back