lighting earth wire

its safe to earth a light to a socket povided the socket cuircuit remains intact

the problem is you can't be sure that the socket cuircuit will remain

imo if you must add an earth you should either go to another point in the same cuircuit (but in that case make sure that is really earthed with a meter first) or right back to the CU

Sponsored Links
jelly said:
That book has helped me out a lot.Can't just throw it away.
At least it explains things properly unlike Haynes manuals on cars.
serously is it safe what i am doing as the book suggests.

no, try a search on earthing, bonding

Plugwash what size earth wire should i use.The same size as the lighting circuit,the same size as the plug socket circuit or bigger and how do i test that it is earthed properly.

jelly said:
how do i test that it is earthed properly.
With a low-resistance ohmmeter. Often combined with an insulation resistance tester, which you also need to check that you've got good insulation resistance between earth and Live, Earth and Neutral. And which is rarely found in a DIY-ers toolkit.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
i would throw that diy book away

Here's a quote from the proposals for part P of the building regulations:

A way of meeting the requirements when providing for these services would be to follow BS 7671 and guidance given in publications such as:–
10.1. The IEE On-Site Guide;
10.2. The series of IEE Publications: Guidance Notes Nos 1 to 7;
10.3. The Which? Book of Wiring and Lighting;
10.4. The Reader’s Digest Complete DIY Manual;

Ah yes - the Proposals did say that.

Here's a couple of quotes from the responses to that document:

77. There was no consensus to include references to DIY manuals. The contracting industry
recommend that there should be no reference to texts other than the IEE texts, whilst independent
respondents suggest that any guidance is good and may give information which may improve the
quality of DIY and other electrical installations. It was noted by several respondents that most
DIY manuals do not give guidance on inspection and testing or test instruments and their use. It
was also noted that it is unlikely that DIY enthusiasts will have access to appropriate instruments.

79. The references in Approved Document P for further information and guidance are now reduced to
the IEE On Site Guide and IEE Guidance Notes 1 to 7.

so your list above should now read:

A way of meeting the requirements when providing for these services would be to follow BS 7671 and guidance given in publications such as:–
10.1. The IEE On-Site Guide;
10.2. The series of IEE Publications: Guidance Notes Nos 1 to 7.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back