Lighting earths on old houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a problem with my lighting circuit recently and the electrician told us that the house, (1950s), was not not earthed in the lighting circuit. He explained that this was not unusual with this age of house and that the wiring was all correct in every other way.

He said that the main box will have to be replaced and an earth installed. I am familiar with the reasoning for the box being replaced with a new style one but how is an earth installed in the lighting circuit?

I have no intention of doing it myself so a laymans explaination would be appreciated!!!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The old twin cables are ripped out and new twin and earth threaded in :)

The lighting circuits require a complete rewire, the new cables installed will contain earth wire.

laurieg said:
the wiring was all correct in every other way.
I can't believe he didn't have a good look, but I'm surprised that the wiring isn't the old VIR (rubber) stuff, given the age...

Sponsored Links
Definitely worth it - unless you're prepared to live with double-insulated light fittings and accessories thorughout your whole house (invariably boring and plasticky :( )

Nick

Yeep ... I'm was in a similar position. Built in 1960. All PVC cables, but no earth in the lighting circuit and strange wooden backboxes / woodscrews holding the switches in position.

Fix is a complete lighting circuit rewire. Changed all the backboxes + new lighting circuits. Few of the cables pulled without breaking the plaster out at the top of the walls :( Feels good when all done though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back