Lighting for conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to update the wiring in my conservatory.

It's pretty dire at the moment. Here is a photo of the current set up for the lighting. In the second and third photos, I've highlighted the current electrical cables for the lighting in red. The cabling then runs down the side wall and back into the main part of the house, which can be seen in the third photo.

I want to get some new lights and install them on the wall. At the moment I am trying to work the best position. I was thinking of running the cabling as in the following photo, where the new cabling would be channelled into the wall.

Is this a reasonable place to run the cable? It occurred to me today that there maybe an issue with the lintel of the window, i.e. in running the channel for the cable I may weaken the structural support of the lintel. Sorry this is a stupid question, but is that a possible issue?

Sponsored Links
These are the permitted safe routes for buried cable.

Newly buried cable will very likely require 30mA RCD protection, so is that existing on the circuit being used?
Also it is not wise notching into a wooden lintel or chasing out into a masonry type. But if you use the the permitted safe routes wisely, this maybe avoidable.

Hi PrenticeBoyOfDerry,

Thanks for the reply.

I had an RCD fuse board installed when I first moved into the house. Is this what you mean? I'm not sure about the precise details regarding the circuits. I will have a look at the report the electrician gave me after he installed the new fuse board.

Also it is not wise notching into a wooden lintel or chasing out into a masonry type.

Okay, that is good to know. I thought it probably wasn't a good idea.

But if you use the the permitted safe routes wisely, this maybe avoidable.

So you think I might have enough room above the window so as to avoid the lintel? If I don't, then what alternatives do I have?

So I've decided not to go for the original position, as I don't want to do any possible damage to the window lintel.

I'm looking for a reasonably simple solution. I have lots of issues with the house at the moment, and I just want a simple fix to get something that looks okay, and gets rid of the wires hanging from the ceiling. They are really quite depressing to look at!

I am currently thinking of a position just above the door. Here is a photo of the proposed position.

Again, I would prefer to chase the cabling into the wall. I was thinking of going up the wall that is adjacent to the wall with the door, so as to avoid the door lintel, and then across to the light. Would this be okay?

(I still need to check the details of the circuit regarding the RCD I had installed. I will post these details ASAP. My son is currently asleep in the room that contains all those types of documents.)

Here is a link to the the light I am looking to purchase.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Is this okay to go on an internal lighting circuit?

Sponsored Links
So I've checked the circuit details. The circuit has got 30mA RCD protection, so I'm good to go ahead and chase the cabling into the wall.

I've also checked the details of the light in more detail. It appears that it can also be used as an internal light, so I assume it is safe to go on the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back